Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: diesel injector problem
steve m

posted on 20/5/17 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
diesel injector problem

Hi all

I, have a 59 mondeo with a tdci 2.0 engine, that has over the last few months developed a MIL engine light on, that shows as injector no 1 is faulty. the light does go off after a few days/thrash, but does come back on, and stay on for a week or so
I do have a laptop with an obd lead, but can not cancel the fault

This was caused (as its never come on in 7 years !!) as a friend told me to fill up with shell v power, as it was cleaner, and what a bloody stupid thing I did, I filled the car up with the stuff, and ever since, had problems

so, as its about a grand to sort 4 injectors and a Ford ecu setup, how do I sort this problem easily

Is there any decent cleaner I can stick in the tank ? or any other advice, that does not include anything stupid, as in burn the car, or change it

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bart

posted on 21/5/17 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
Just change 1 and get it reprogrammed by independant foRd garage.
Alternative try a can of Bg products diesel cleaner best on the market

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

SteveWalker

posted on 21/5/17 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bart
Just change 1 and get it reprogrammed by independant foRd garage.
Alternative try a can of Bg products diesel cleaner best on the market

You can get an interface lead for your computer and the software to code it yourself for very little.

It also depends on the make of injectors fitted - one make (might be Seimens) doesn't require coding as I found when I had problems with my 1.8TDCI.

SteveW

mark chandler

posted on 21/5/17 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
The injectors are coded with their precise flow rate, provided you replace with the same coded value you do not need to reprogram the ECU, so if you choose to replace match it up at the parts factor.

These injectors are incredibly delicate, just removing can get them dirty enough to screw them up, it's worth checking that it's not the fuel pump failing and introducing fine metal particles into the fuel before flogging a whole lot of money into the injectors to just have to repeat this. This means removing the old one and have it inspected unfortunately.

Dick

posted on 21/5/17 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Chris you need to do a leak back test be for you do any thing if you think you have an injector going down. You dont need to replace them all.

[Edited on 21/5/17 by Dick]

r1_pete

posted on 21/5/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Try a new fuel filter, the 'cleaner' fuel has probably loosened the captured crap in the current filter, and let some through to the injector.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 21/5/17 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've got exactly the same age 2.0 tdci Mondeo and have occasionally used V Power with no probs. Diesel filters are due every 3 years and are easy enough to change. You need to pull the fuel through manually after changing though before the engine will run.

Stu

nick205

posted on 22/5/17 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
I've got exactly the same age 2.0 tdci Mondeo and have occasionally used V Power with no probs. Diesel filters are due every 3 years and are easy enough to change. You need to pull the fuel through manually after changing though before the engine will run.

Stu

Ditto - diesel fuel filters are not expensive and really quite simple to change. They're very often overlooked (not done) by garages unless you specifically ask for it to be done. My first move would be to replace it with an OEM one from Ford and see what difference it makes. Personally I change mine annually (VW OEM £8 a filter) and have done for many years.

Incidentally the same rule applies to air conditioning air filters. Cheap and easy to do, rarely done by garages and makes a noticeable difference to the effectiveness of the air conditioning.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.