Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: gran canaria
JoelP

posted on 7/1/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
gran canaria

sorry to be so far off any car topic...

a few friends are trying to arrange a holiday to gran canaria, but i have a suspicion that they are deceiving me about what its like there! i absolutely detest pissups, pissup holidays, night clubs, pissed teenagers and all things associated with Korfu.

does anyone have any personal experience of the place? is this what im going to encounter?! i want boats, beaches and early nights...

posted on 7/1/05 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Florida?
colibriman

posted on 7/1/05 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
I was in Puerto rico last November.......it was pretty much as you described in the town centre (in the bottom of a valley), but on a short boat taxi to Mogan it was very different and quiet - it will be warm there just now though...almost unbearably warm in summer I imagine.
There are plenty of boat trips though -fishing and sightseeing...
I'm just back from Morocco and it was in the 70's every day - great weather - thats the place you want to go for early nights and no drunken idiots - Only half of the restaurants sell alcohol - and there's no bars as such - only the ones in hotels- There's cops everywhere so there's less risk of any hassle. The Dakar rally had an overnight stop in Agadir too the other night.. was nice of them to do that for me

need a bike engine? - www.colibriman.com

SVA ready Mk Indyblade possibly for sale.....if the offers good...!

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 7/1/05 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
I went to Playa del inglesin gran canaria once and never again .It was exactly as you descibe not liking.At night it was impossible to walk more than a few yards without being hassled by nightclub touts, during the day it was the timeshare brigade.
I usually go to north Tenerife or Corraleco in Fuertuventura they are both much more civilised and relaxing.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
i absolutely detest pissups, pissup holidays, night clubs, pissed teenagers and all things associated with Korfu.

does anyone have any personal experience of the place? is this what im going to encounter?! i want boats, beaches and early nights...

Hellfire

posted on 7/1/05 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
sorry to be so far off any car topic...

a few friends are trying to arrange a holiday to gran canaria, but i have a suspicion that they are deceiving me about what its like there! i absolutely detest pissups, pissup holidays, night clubs, pissed teenagers and all things associated with Korfu.

Portugal is supposed to be quiet and civilised as you describe - but all tourist resorts have their downsides, normally caused by the English

JoelP

posted on 7/1/05 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
damn

its playa del ingles that im off to apparently...

cheers for your thoughts!

what am i to do.... best bet is not to go.

[Edited on 7/1/05 by JoelP]

CairB

posted on 7/1/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Try Playa Barca further down in Fuerteventura if you want relaxing. It's a lot quieter than Corraleco. Excellent for kite and wind surfing.

Playa Barca Webcam

Its a bit dark at the moment though

Cheers,

Colin

quote:
Originally posted by paulf
I went to Playa del inglesin gran canaria once and never again .It was exactly as you descibe not liking.At night it was impossible to walk more than a few yards without being hassled by nightclub touts, during the day it was the timeshare brigade.
I usually go to north Tenerife or Corraleco in Fuertuventura they are both much more civilised and relaxing.
Paul.
quote:
i absolutely detest pissups, pissup holidays, night clubs, pissed teenagers and all things associated with Korfu.

JoelP

posted on 7/1/05 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
having read the web site about the place, i might actually enjoy it! theres a 1.6km kart track out there! and about 4 of the other lads going are into racing!

so all is not lost, so long as i remember the ear plugs...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/05 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
i went to playas des anglais about 5 years ago - there is a place called masapalomas right next door, where I actually stayed - a bit off the beaten track so no noise.

masawotsit is famous for its masses of sand dunes by the beach. In talking sahara style - not little ant hills

player des anglais is ok. the only hassle you get is standard in spain and greece - waiters trying to get you into their restaurants at night time , but its not a problem.

tenerife is the worse place ive been to for hassle - timeshare bastards.

in not into kiss me quick loud places, and if playa des anglais was alright for me, its sure to be pretty inoffensive to you.

there are only abot 5 resorts worth seeing in a cluster at the bottom of the island - thats all there are! past porto rico - which was another decent place - was the best beach ive ever been to. fantastic changing and showering facilities in a place thats more like the changing rooms of a decent uk public pool. nice if you dont like going back to the car covered in seaside crap and sand.

DONT BOTHER going north to see the main city. Unless a visit to an industrial place reminicnet of a trip thro birmingham on the m6 is your bag.

playa is a decent place. go there with confidence.

atb

steve

[Edited on 8/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

[Edited on 8/1/05 by stephen_gusterson]

rusty nuts

posted on 8/1/05 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Joel , you have obviosly not been to the right place{s} in Corfu. Try Avlaki Beach if you want a holiday away from crowds, nice taverna , brilliant food and friendly people also San Stephano just a couple of miles south slightly bigger but a great place without loads of yobs. Not everywhere in Corfu is wall to wall discos like Kavos etc. Hope you have a good time, Rusty
stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/1/05 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
where does gran canaria and corfu come into it, rusty and joel?

they are different islands! ones in the atlantic, other in the med

atb

steve

JoelP

posted on 8/1/05 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
by way of comparisson! corfu has the bad reputation that i dont like.

rusty nuts

posted on 9/1/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Steve , read the original post it mentions Korfu , which I assume is Corfu .Rusty
JoelP

posted on 9/1/05 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
my mistake, i meant tofu...

JoelP

posted on 15/5/05 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
well, brb

now wheres me

clbarclay

posted on 15/5/05 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Gran canaria can't be too bad, my grand parents have been there several times in recent years without complaint. It probably just depends where abouts on the island you end up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.