Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quiet exhaust options
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/5/17 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Quiet exhaust options

I finally got my st170 powered Spitfire on the road a couple of weeks ago. And had the ME221 ecu mapped by ME. Still a work in progress there.....

Anyway, I made a 2 1/4" exhaust system, and single 4x10", 14" long straight through box (think it is 2 1/2" bore) but it is incredibly loud. So much so when I took the car to Sap for the classiclast weekend I fitted a 1.5" bore box just to get it bearable, but the effect on performance was marked.

So, I have had a few thoughts. Because of "packaging" issues, I can only get a box under the boot floor. So that limits it to 5" diameter box.
Realistically I could split the exhaust and run a pair of boxes in parallel. I reckon 1.75" bore gives an overall area a bit more than teh 2 1/4 pipe, and each silencer could be 18" long.
Plan b is to use 2 2 1/4" silencers, again 5" diameter, one after the other but joined by a 180 degree link pipe. One could be max 18", the other up to 30", giving a total length of 48"

Either of those sound a winner?? or other good ideas?

gremlin1234

posted on 24/5/17 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
an old style 'cherry bomb' silencer could be fitted between the chassis rails under the prop shaft. then back boxes behind
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/5/17 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
I considered that, but not sure if that would be effective. I could get a 3" cherry bomb in there but the difference in diameter between the pipe and the outer case is small, about 8mm gap.. Not a lot of space available.... (most spitfires use 1 1/2 pipe, and sports exhausts about 1 3/4"
Daf

posted on 24/5/17 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Have you considered a DB killer? I have an ST170 engine in my car and a DB killer took it down from 106dB to 97db after it failed it's first IVA on noise. It still made 175hp on the rollers with it fitted.
snapper

posted on 24/5/17 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
Deb killers are bhp killers
Tuned Spitfires often used twin silenced end pipes.

Having just replaced the rotten exhaust on an 06 plate Fiesta ST I would be looking for a resonating back box as the non resonating box I fitted is unbearable inside the car "Doh"

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/5/17 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
So what is a "resonator" box? Chambered or baffled?

Seems that exhausts are a black art. I know with straight through silencers longer is quieter, and larger outer casing is quieter. And smaller bore too....

And yes, the twin "wheelbarrow" exhaust has been very popular, . But most of those cars are in the 75-100bhp category. And some of them are VERY loud!

SJ

posted on 25/5/17 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Seems that exhausts are a black art.

Years ago I fitted a smaller Alfasud back box to my Cirtoen GSA instead of the big standard one and it sounded great. I then decided more was better, and as it was a flat 4 I split the exhaust where it joined at the Y piece and fitted two 'Sud back boxes - one to each bank of cylinders. From inside the car it sounded like a squadron of Halifax bombers was following me! Really loud and not that nice.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.