Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 brass saddle
Rena

posted on 26/5/17 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 brass saddle

Hi,

During the winter I have installed a brass saddle from Burton Power in my type 9 gearbox.
http://www.burtonpower.com/hd-brass-saddle-gearlever-to-selector-shaft-type-9-e-gbt9539.html

I also have a quickshift-kit.
When I took the car for a test drive the reverse lock didnīt work and the shitfter was loose. I could put it in reverse without pushing the shifter down.

Any idea how to solve it? Change back to the plastic one?

See this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaWV6l2Jz7Q

Quinten

posted on 26/5/17 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted it the right way around?

It also says on the Burton page: "Made with elongated ears which must be crimped when fitted." did you do that?

Rena

posted on 26/5/17 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinten
Fitted it the right way around?

It also says on the Burton page: "Made with elongated ears which must be crimped when fitted." did you do that?

Yes I did, But maybe not enough.
It should be crimped around the " axle" from the gearbox, right? If you crimp it too much it's impossible to fit it.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/17 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
I suspect it's more likely to be the quick shift at fault, easy to test just refit the original gear-lever assembly. There's no need to buy a quick shift if you have the original gear-lever as it can be easily modified to make it a quick shift for pennies , the same can be said for a remote extension.
Rena

posted on 26/5/17 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
I suspect it's more likely to be the quick shift at fault, easy to test just refit the original gear-lever assembly. There's no need to buy a quick shift if you have the original gear-lever as it can be easily modified to make it a quick shift for pennies , the same can be said for a remote extension.

It worked like a charm last year, will replace it with the plastic one tomorrow.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/17 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the saddle hasn't slipped around the selector shaft?
Rena

posted on 26/5/17 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Are you sure the saddle hasn't slipped around the selector shaft?

Nope, bit I don't think so, it must be something with a missing part for the quickshift.
I have http://www.burtonpower.com/quickshift-gearlever-kit-type-9-5-speed-ford-sierra-qs03k.html but I can't see the plastic bush and not the metal clip, so something there must be missing.

rusty nuts

posted on 27/5/17 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
I wonder if the gear lever has slipped lower than it should be so the reverse stop no longer engages? Also check that the reverse stop hasn't fallen out , it's a wedge shaped piece of metal IIRC .
Rena

posted on 27/5/17 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I think I have sorted the problem out.
As I wrote before I bought my cars as an unfinished project. Last season I thought the gearbox worked great and problems with gearchanging was because the gearbox was old. But know I realise there are parts missing.

I think the only thing thatīs mounted is the distanceplate between the gearbox and the gear lever.
I donīt have the nylon bushing and I donīt think I have the small metalclip.
Can anyone help me see if the metalclip is missing?

So, I have to buy another kit from burton OR buy a complete quickshift lever. I have seen Quaife have one, but to expensive, do cheaper ones work?

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/17 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Does this link help at all? Dave Andrews quick-shift

Rena

posted on 29/5/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Does this link help at all? Dave Andrews quick-shift

No, but I thing I have solved the problem. Ordered parts, hopefully will get them before weekend.

mcerd1

posted on 30/5/17 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rena
So, I have to buy another kit from burton OR buy a complete quickshift lever. I have seen Quaife have one, but to expensive, do cheaper ones work?

The cheaper / DIY versions should work (can't speak for every version of course...) - its just moving the pivot point so really not that complicated

The Quaife versions are very nice though - all metal with a spherical bearing, proper spring and 2 different positions for the pivot
not cheap mind you (new ones are a lot more than I paid for mine a few years back)

If you keep your eyes open second hand Caterham levers sometimes come up for a bit less - its the same Quaife lever but with a UNF thread on the end instead of metric

-

rusty nuts

posted on 30/5/17 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
I made my remote and quick shift following David's link , works really well and it was cheap. Total cost was less than Ģ1.00 using a few bits from my scrap bin. I would say it is a better design than some I have seen . Hope it works out for the OP

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content Đ 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [Đ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.