Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting interior
itsawindupuk

posted on 1/6/17 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Painting interior

Hi everyone, I'm having my car painted a deep metallic red, which will have a clear coat. I'm painting things like engine bay, interior and underside to keep costs down. I've done the underside and engine bay but with the interior should I use the clear coat? I'm just curious as no one will see any interior paint but if it stops it getting damaged then I'll clear coat.

Cheers

nick205

posted on 1/6/17 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Is this the MGB in your avatar?

Myself I'd be inclined not to clear coat the interior and concentrate on careful reassembly of any interior trim. Most of the interior paint should be out of view (+ wear and tear).

obfripper

posted on 1/6/17 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Metallic basecoat is porous like primer, so it should be given clearcoat to prevent moisture absorption which could lead to corrosion.
Just 1 decent coat of 2k lacquer is enough to seal the basecoat, you can use a cheaper branded one to save some money as clarity of finish is unimportant.
You can also apply lacquer by roller or brush to save masking time and spraying costs.

Dave

steve m

posted on 1/6/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would give it all a couple of coats of this stuff, ive used it for years, seems ok to me, and has never gone yellow like some clear coats,

UPOL CLEAR#1 Lacquer / Clearcoat Aerosol 450ml Headlight Repair Clear U-POL x 6

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

itsawindupuk

posted on 1/6/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't realise that metallic is porous, altho I'm using epoxy primer which is not. I'll put a single coat of clear over it. I have some 2k upol clear left over so I'll use that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.