Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Filler Cap
ttalps2000

posted on 2/6/17 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel Filler Cap

In the IVA manual it states the following:

"The fuel filler cap must either be tethered to the vehicle or be of a lockable type where the key can only be removed when the cap is locked or an automatically opening and closing, non-removable fuel filler cap
(Post 0 5 / 2009 vehicles only)"

I have a locking cap, but the key can be removed when the cap is not in place and it is not tethered, however I will not be eligible for a new registration or anywhere near 05/2009, so I assume I am ok?!

Anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks

posted on 2/6/17 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I think for the sake of a few pennies I would buy a sink/bath plug chain and tether.

It's common sense. How much to replace the whole cap assembly if you were to drive off a station forecourt?

With any unusual car it's so easy to be distracted by someone admiring your pride and joy, so easily done.

Paul G

sdh2903

posted on 2/6/17 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly what Paul says. The amount of times I've heard of people driving off without the cap.
sdh2903

posted on 2/6/17 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
And your car will still be a 2017 car if you IVAd it today. Regardless if it's a Q or an age related plate saying otherwise.
furryeggs

posted on 2/6/17 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
99p picture frame wire from poundland and a couple of crimps.
tims31

posted on 2/6/17 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
99p picture frame wire from poundland and a couple of crimps.

Thats what I did except in the tank i have dropped a piece of stailess wire with a loop in that pulls the wire down inside the tank when I put the cap back on and stops the cap coming out when open.

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

adithorp

posted on 2/6/17 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
As the key can be removed when the cap is off, you'll have to fit a tether to pass IVA.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ianhurley20

posted on 2/6/17 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
And 3/10/16 this is what nearly failed me. Lockable cap but the key could be removed when not locked in place. Thankfully the tester allowed me to drill a hole in the cap and attach a cable tie to the roll bar. As of today it is still there!

ttalps2000

posted on 4/6/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the replys!

A cable tie or piece of wire to the roll bar sounds like a good idea to get round the issue! Really am not bothered about having the wire on there, just purely for IVA pass only!

Thanks

adithorp

posted on 5/6/17 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Having seen several caps go missing from cars (both mates and my own) I'd advice having the tether even after IVA. I know it seems a daft thing to leave the cap off but for some reason it happens. Replacement caps aren't cheap either.

Usual way is to attach a chain to the inside of the cap then on the other end of the chain attach a bar (longer than the diameter of the filler hose) so it forms a T. Drop the bar into the tank and it should then twist so as not to come back out. The weight of the bar should pull the chain down as you replace the cap.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.