Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: autodata users
john_p_b

posted on 8/6/17 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
autodata users

Morning all

i'm looking at investing in a autodata subscription at work, my job has evolved recently from being a pretty run of the mill service tech to taking on a lot more diagnosis, repair and electrical work.

The question i have at the moment is how up to date is Autodata? yesterday i had a brand new BMW 520 in for a crash camera to be installed but ended up having to turn it away as i had absolutely no info about where to pick up a switched feed to power the camera from and i'm not a believer in just probing into any old wire causing an upset somewhere!

would autodata be the answer to my problems or are there any other resources out there that would help? i've no issue in paying for the info as long as it's going to do the job i need it to do!

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/6/17 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I use E technical and I have used autodata both have holes and they more than likely wouldn't be current with a brand new car ,I've found E technical ok for me and it's slightly cheaper both companies offer a free months trail so maybe worth having a look .
obfripper

posted on 8/6/17 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I've used autodata and haynes pro which has the same data source as e3, they are both lacking in wiring diagram coverage. I would say that autodata is more comprehensive for wiring diagrams, the technical diagrams with haynes/e3 are useful for tightening torques for specific bolts and cover alot more than autodata.

Another system to consider is wurth WoW, the data they use is sourced from autodata and it has diagnostic software as part of the system. IIRC it works out about £50+vat a month plus the diagnostic head, that's about £1500 and the software run on windows and uses bluetooth for connection.
Also no internet connection is required so still works if there's a power cut or internet outage, that is a major bugbear with autodata and haynes nowdays.

Dave

bi22le

posted on 8/6/17 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm. Granted I am talking over 12 years ago but I would of probed that!

A switched live and a constant would be easy I would of thought.

What worried me, even 12 years ago, was panel removal. The new mini is a great example, youtube it before hand or you WILL break something. Once you know, it is easy.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

john_p_b

posted on 12/6/17 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Hmm. Granted I am talking over 12 years ago but I would of probed that!

A switched live and a constant would be easy I would of thought.

What worried me, even 12 years ago, was panel removal. The new mini is a great example, youtube it before hand or you WILL break something. Once you know, it is easy.

to an extent i did! the only thing i could actually get at was the back of a fusebox in the drivers footwell but every single wire into it was permanently live!

also didn't help the job that the driver of said car who is a company director was stood over me the entire time harping on "i knew this would be a f**k up right from the start!"

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.