Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wax Oil. The Devils spawn.

posted on 11/6/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Wax Oil. The Devils spawn.

This weekend I've been fitting a bigger bore back box to my newly acquired toy.

The previous owner obviously had a black goo fetish. This shite is everywhere and consequently contaminates everything
that comes within a mile of the stuff. It gets everywhere. Every tool gets covered, your clothes, hands, arms, even in your hair.

The wife says she'll hand wash my jeans but they'll probably end up in land fill. I bet even the dustbin men get it all over them.

It should carry a health warning. Evil stuff.

At least the can sounds well.

New back box
New back box

rusty nuts

posted on 11/6/17 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
The thinking mans Greecian 2000! At least it'll cover up the grey.
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/17 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm assuming I'm looking at the back of an MX5 there, all that underseal may be all that holds that little car together

Rusty little buggers they are, if your lucky the owner has put all that black goo on before the rust set in rather than cover it all up...

Personally I am a huge fan of underseal, so long as it is put on over good clean metal (which I do). My landy underside is totally covered, I mean just totally, I even built a rig to blast huge quantities inside the chassis from an old calor gas tank.

Saying that...if I was buying a car already covered I'd be hugely suspicious and probably just walk away unless the owner could show me photo's or something that convinced me the job was done properly.

I have to agree though, it is a very dirty thing and my hands are usually just black anytime I'm working on the underside, nightmare if you get it in your hair. top tip - when finished rub a clean kitchen towel through your hair before going to bed or the wife may kill you in your sleep

[Edited on 11/6/17 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/17 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
oh yeah, there is a paint fault\drainage issue on them just in front of the rear wheel, may want to get some more underseal (thinned down) into that area asap

[Edited on 11/6/17 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 11/6/17 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
This has been posted before (originally on Blatchat and here several times) but why not...

"Waxoil….

I really wanted to get some of this into the Land Rover's chassis before I started using it, so tonight was planned to be the night for waxoiling the inside of the chassis….

I had gone to Halfords and bought 2 gallons, and knocked off work early…

I also had the real benefit that SWMBO was out tonight, so I had since 3.00pm been shoving the 2 gallon cans into the sink with near boling water…….

I should have known things were going to go “slightly wrong” when I started….

I decided to use a Waxoil gun, and my compressor, I had the propane burner on in the workshop since 3.00pm flat out and it was like the sahara, in fact it was so hot I decided a T shirt and shorts was the dress code………

Grabbing some white spirit to further thin the waxoil I entered the kitchen and unscrewed the waxoil lid…

Thhhhuuuumpppppppp !…grwat big snotty big dollop spewed out over the kitchen worksurface........, no probs I thought, ...I’ll sort that out when I’ve finished, as I might make "a little bit more mess yet", .....glad Sues not in….

Clutching bloody hot waxoil injector thingy, part filled with waxoil and mixed with very very warm white spirit I squirted and soaked the chassis blasting away, and also practising holding my breath .....as it went misty in the workshop….

1 Gallon later I was nearly there, I was at the rear cross member, with yet another huge refill…….

I ought to point out that I had also decided that at some of the angles I was at pulling and holding the trigger was a pain in the ar&e...( I have a really bad back) so I had devised a cunning lock of an elastic band on the trigger so that I could let it do it things whilst it sprayed away……

Shove tube into hole and pull trigger….lock and waggle etc…

Enter my wifes love of her life…..

The cat….

It sat there and looked at me the way only a cat can….it sniffed (unapprovingly) the dripped waxoil, and I said…

“Huh, you don’t want to be in here matey, this stuff will stick to your fur like sh*t to a blanket”……and at that very point the jammed on tube extension came off the gun…

Could I release the elastic band round the trigger ?…

Could I boll*cks….

The gun squirted warm waxoil/white spirit out at a force never so far experienced, one particularly good jet hit the cat, who bolted, knocking over the 2/3 empty (1/3 full!!) can of hot waxoil/white spirt mix, which flowed oh so well under the landy, and into my clothes T shirt and clothes and skin areas exposed..., but I was still fighting with the hot octopus trying to switch the damned thing off, but I failed, I was saved when it just ran out…..

Just when I thought nothing could get worse than lying under a Land Rover with waxoil soaked clothes, waxoil dripping onto my hair and face, and running into my ears….

Some waxoil drpped onto the lead lamp….

Ping….

Blackness…….

Blackness as it also pinged the fuse for the lighting circuit, getting myself out of the underneath of the landy proved friutfull, in that I knew all the places that waxoil had “leaked” ……

Removing dripping clothes I entered house in “minimal Clothes” to resolve fuse prob, when Lights went on I saw the cat…

I AM GOING TO DIE IF SHE SEES THIS !

Here Puddie cattie……

This did not improve the sink/kitchen area one little jot, .....ever tried holding a 'waxoiled cat' in a sink with water and rags, and especially when cat does not enjoy it ?….

1 hour later cat was scrubbed and very piss7d off with me, I’ve had 2 baths, and also cleaned the bath it seems that the bath will not be rusty….scrubbed kitchen fllor, sink, worktop

Will she notice….

Cat stinks, garage sticks, alley way stinks, I stink, kitchen smells of lemon washing up liquid, which strangely we seem to nearly be out of ?….floor stinks……

She will be back any minute…….

[gulp]

Nice job on the Landy tho....... ))

....UPADTE...............

...later that evening......

Alleyway door closes and SWMBO walks in.....

"have a nice time dear ?......."

"what the HELL is that smell ?"

"Smell ?....er do you mean the waxoil ?"

"Is that what it is - its disgusting"

"Er..really"....

"yes really, the alleyway stinks, I mean I could smell it when I got out of the car..."

"er...really ?"

"yes, Really, I mean my G*d its stinking everywhere out, its even permutated the house "

"really"

"yes really and [ picks up cat - I look away at telly and pray]...and ....good grief even the cat smells of it its ....[ at this point the cat growls at Sue.....probably hand enough of being "handled" during the evening...]..."WELL if your going to be like that madam you grumpy old thing" ...[places cat down firmly - cat grumbles some more].. cat exits still grumbling

"Charming.........well.....Anyway, have you finished.........?"

THOUGHTS...............

I've got away with it...."yes dear thanks"...
I've got away with it...."all done"...I've got away with it...."think I'll have a beer"...I've got away with it....I've got away with it...."Would you like a glass of wine ?"....I've got away with it....yippee....I've got away with it....and

SHE'S GOT THE HUMP WITH THE CAT TOO - NOT ME !!

Beer....

Bed....

RESULT....... !

But a bit close for comfort......far to close "

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

02GF74

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

The previous owner obviously had a black goo fetish. This shite is everywhere and consequently contaminates everything
that comes within a mile of the stuff. It gets everywhere. Every tool gets covered, your clothes, hands, arms, even in your hair.

Are you sure? I used waxoil in the past and remember it being a yellowy, definitely not black.

re: cat waxoyl story, from LR4x4 forum, HFH?

theconrodkid

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
i use old engine oil,it dosnt just hide the rust,it stops it,it,s free and it,s dead easy to spray into the sills and on the florpan/suspension arms etc....whats not to like ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

02GF74

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
i use old engine oil,it dosnt just hide the rust,it stops it,it,s free and it,s dead easy to spray into the sills and on the florpan/suspension arms etc....whats not to like ?

what's not to like? how about ending up in hospital after coming off yer motorcycle due to skidding on oil dropped? ok, so your car no longer rusts, but spare a thought for other road users. please don't do it.

[Edited on 11/6/17 by 02GF74]

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/17 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Are you sure? I used waxoil in the past and remember it being a yellowy, definitely not black.

re: cat waxoyl story, from LR4x4 forum, HFH?

there's two versions, the white stuff is for inside box sections and is non setting, very waxy and melts in warm weather. The other is the traditional black tar for the underside. It goes quite hard unless you mix molygrease with it

Benzine

posted on 11/6/17 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
what's not to like? how about ending up in hospital after coming off yer motorcycle due to skidding on oil dropped? ok, so your car no longer rusts, but spare a thought for other road users. please don't do it.

Surely the amount coming off would be minuscule?

posted on 11/6/17 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Opposite my house there's a grey stone gravel track.

On the next hot still day I intend to do a bit of rally driving and hope that the clouds of dust stick to the black bitch.

Paul G

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/6/17 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
Opposite my house there's a grey stone gravel track.

On the next hot still day I intend to do a bit of rally driving and hope that the clouds of dust stick to the black bitch.

Paul G

good plan

LBMEFM

posted on 12/6/17 at 04:05 AM Reply With Quote
Just waking up to a crap week and reading your post put a big smile on my face "adithorp". Well done, great story, worthy script for a T.V. situation comedy.

I'm also glad to see I'm not the only one who gets in awkward situations. Like the time many years ago I thought while she's out I'll buff up the nose cone on my old R.H. in the kitchen, it's cold in the garage, before I put it back on. What I didn't realise was that I was also putting a neat green line of T Cut and green colour all around the kitchen units and white walls. But I had thought of the floor though and I had covered it with newspaper, big mistake, when I removed the damp paper it left the text clearly inprinted into the lino. happy days.

Small thought - are some people confusing Waxoil with Underseal?.

[Edited on 12/6/17 by LBMEFM]

posted on 12/6/17 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

That's below the belt Mel

bart

posted on 12/6/17 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
black silicon

hi
just to say we use a very high grade black silicon sealant in work. ! £27 a tube !

I sware on all that's holley that a piece big enough to cover a pin head top, will cover at least 3 meters square , the stuff is a
nightmare get it on your finger/hand and the fun begins , within 10 minutes you look like a coal miner , your chair is covered.
any product within 1 mtr is now black , its in your hair up your B-M. ive never known stuff like it. and to cap it all when it goes off (24hrs) its completely un-removable and sticks any thing to anything.

if we go to war with anyone just send 6 tubes via post , they would surrender in 2 days !!!

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

rusty nuts

posted on 12/6/17 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

That's below the belt Mel

Grey down there as well?

theconrodkid

posted on 12/6/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:Originally posted by theconrodkid

the oil stays on the metal,after doing it and letting it stand for a bit,no more drips even when parked up so no chance of oiling up the road,and yes i do often go on a bike and know all about oil and diesel spills.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Oddified

posted on 12/6/17 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
quote:Originally posted by theconrodkid

the oil stays on the metal,after doing it and letting it stand for a bit,no more drips even when parked up so no chance of oiling up the road,and yes i do often go on a bike and know all about oil and diesel spills.

I do the same, leave it to stand on the drive a couple of days after spraying it and there's no more drips, done once a year before winter stops any rust

Ian

MikeRJ

posted on 13/6/17 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
As my dad always says (usualy when adding another gallon of waxoyl to his MGB) "You can wipe of waxoyl, but you can't wipe off rust".

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.