Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BMW 520i 2.2 170bhp, Towing kt car???
dmrider_10

posted on 26/6/17 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
BMW 520i 2.2 170bhp, Towing kt car???

Im looking for something to replace my aging Volvo v70 2.4 petrol 140bhp which I use for towing our fish fury and little trailer (approx 650kg total) which it does OK. Im looking for a 5 series estate and theres a really nice one local but its only a 2.2 petrol with 170bhp. Ideally a 530i or 530D would be what Id go for but this car is very good in all other aspects. Do we think it will tow ok? Man maths says it has more power than the volvo so should be fine ut I dunno?
stevea

posted on 26/6/17 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
I'm towing 870kg fully laden with my Insigna 2.0D (140bhp) and it's spot on. Turbo Diesels will be a significant upgrade on a petrol with the same power as they have more grunt where you need it.
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/6/17 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Flippin heck. My dad towed a 16ft caravan with a 1600 Austin Cambridge, all over England/wales/scotland. That had 70bhp?? Back in the late 60's and 70's. Caravans were not light back then, ours had a stove/fire in it! I towed an 850kg caravan with a 57bhp diesel astra all around the uk 20 years ago, although not fast on the hills, it towed well.

Power is very rarely an issue. What is an issue is the drivers experience/understanding of towing. If you understand how to correctly load a trailer, and the weight of the towing car is adequate, you will have no issues. Just a matter of knowing when problems are likely to occur (sidewinds/sudden manoevering and so on, again all to do with weight of car and to a certain extend overhang at the rear)

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/6/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Speed limits when towing are 30/50/60mph depending where you are.

I tow an enclosed trailer, fully laden Transhit, VOSA'd recently at 4.2t GTW on my way to Croft. Transhit is the mighty 2.4Di 90 BHP version...

You may well have the means to acquire a powerful tow vehicle, but is it really necessary? The race is at the circuit, not on the roads, and certainly not when towing.

mookaloid

posted on 26/6/17 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Automatics are great for towing

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

coozer

posted on 26/6/17 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
These days you need to check the towing capabilities of the vehicles, not all models are homolgamated to tow...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ElmrPhD

posted on 26/6/17 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not to hijack the thread, but I'm debating whether to use our '98 Subaru Forester Turbo vs the '78 Land Rover 109 (with Peugeot/LDV turbo diesel engine) for towing the MNR.
The Subi is so superiour for the driver (me), but I do like the mass/tonnage of the big Landy once under way.
Anyway, so I'm interested in what you all have to say about tow-vehicle choice.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.