Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: starter motor relay...yes or no.
Jenko

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
starter motor relay...yes or no.

Trying to make sense of the westfield loom, and there is no provision for a starter motor relay. Clearly I can fit one in, but the question is...is it really needed?. I did fit one on my last build, but westfield don't seem to have one...Is it needed / desirable?.

[Edited on 28/6/17 by Jenko]

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Quinten

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Not needed, but good practice (imho). There is not much current required to activate the starter.

chris

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
isnt the solenoid doing the same job as a relay
rusty nuts

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
The starter motor solonoid is a relay but it may draw a higher current than the ignition switch can cope with? Fitting a relay would reduce the load on the switch so might be good practice . Did the ignition switch donor originally use a relay? If so I would fit one.
peter030371

posted on 28/6/17 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
What starter switch are you using and what is it rated too?
Jenko

posted on 28/6/17 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
It uses the standard switch that comes with the westfield kit and also the westfield loom. westfield obviously don't think its needed, but I wondered if it's worth doing anyway.....I can't remember if my last westfield had one!.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

peter030371

posted on 28/6/17 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jenko
It uses the standard switch that comes with the westfield kit and also the westfield loom. westfield obviously don't think its needed, but I wondered if it's worth doing anyway.....I can't remember if my last westfield had one!.

If Westfield don't use it then I would not add it, just one more thing to go wrong and more connections which are always the week point of a loom!

big_wasa

posted on 28/6/17 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
The solenoid draws around 10a after the initial spike so it depends on the switch gear. If its a Sierra ignition switch its not needed but I would use one to pre long it's life as there not as easy to find.

Ford have used a relay as standard since 1995 ish as a way of the ecu immobilizing the starter.

[Edited on 28/6/17 by big_wasa]

britishtrident

posted on 28/6/17 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Proper tintop ignition switches are designed wth wiping contacts to better withstand the arcing as the switches makes and breaks.

If you do use a relay use a big one as the coils on pre-enagage starter solenoids draw a huge in-rush current just to operate the solenoid, this is the solenoid on a Denso, the solenoid Lucas Pinto draws about the same inital peak 35 amps . Old style starter solenoids drew much less, Rolls-Royce on the old V8 used a Lucas BL Mini starter solenoid as a relay to operated the pre-engage starter solenoid.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.