Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bare Metal Protection Whilst Restoring
SteveWallace

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Bare Metal Protection Whilst Restoring

I'm currently restoring an MG TC and this is involving cleaning the old paint and surface rust of components and panels that will ultimately end up bodywork coloured. I'm starting to generate things from door panels to hinges that I'll need to protect from surface rust for maybe another couple of years until I'm ready to do final finishing and have them top coated.

What is the best way to do this?

I'm now confused about primers etc, but have the following thoughts in my head

I) Using normal primer isn't a good idea as its not water resistant - the parts will not be exposed to the elements, but they will be in an unheated garage for years

ii) 2k rattle can epoxy primer sounds good except that the cans are single use only once the hardener is mixed in, therefore could get expensive doing small areas at a time

iii) I'm thinking maybe etch primer, but how pristine does the metal have to be for this and how protective is it really? I was thinking of also using one of the metal prep products that converts any residual rust (e.g. microscopic amounts that I have not completely got rid of) first and leave a zinc phosphate coating (e.g. POR15 metal prep), but I think that I read somewhere that its not good to use etch primer over a metal prepped surface.

iv) I don't really want to contaminate the surfaces by using temporary protection such as spraying WD40 over everything

Advice please

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

Nickp

posted on 10/7/17 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I use this stuff. It'll kill any rust and leaves it coated to prevent further rust. When you come to paint it just wash it off beforehand with warm water.

http://www.fertan.co.uk/Item-Fertan%20rust%20converter.htm

r1_pete

posted on 10/7/17 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I prefer to use either erch primer or zinc 182, the sills on my 944 have been in zinc 182, kept outside under a waterproof cove for over a year now, no sign of rust forming, on either the new metal, or the original.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWallace

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
I prefer to use either erch primer or zinc 182, the sills on my 944 have been in zinc 182, kept outside under a waterproof cove for over a year now, no sign of rust forming, on either the new metal, or the original.

I was wondering about Zinc 182. Is there any restriction on the type of paint that you can use over the top of it. Which do you rate more highly, etch primer or Zinc 182?

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

r1_pete

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I generally brush zinc on if I know I need to leave it a while, then come finising time, I flat the brush marks out with dry paper, 300 - 400 grit, which will expose some metal, then I etch prime, flat, regular prime then paint.

If Im finishing from scratch in one go I dont bother with zinc, unless Ive done some filling, then a brush over with zinc, and a flat off helps loose the filler to metal join.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 10/7/17 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
P.S Ive used cellulose ove zinc 182, with no reaction, if anything will react its Cellulose, but as above I like a flash over with etch.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.