Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Metro/Mini clutch
LBMEFM

posted on 14/7/17 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Metro/Mini clutch

I bought a classic Mini sometime ago to rebuild, now I have repaired the MK Indy after it's shunt at Lydden Hill, I can make a start on the Mini. The previous owner has made a bodge of most things and has "installed" a 1300cc Metro engine which I want to fire up and drive just to check the gears etc. However, there is no clutch release mechanism fitted, I assume the Metro had a cable operated clutch, unlike the original Mini hydraulic one, but for the life of me I cannot see how it works as all I have is the lever coming out of the clutch cover. has anyone got any pictures of one or can give me an explanation of how it works. Also how am I going to connect a cable at the pedal end, alternatively is there a way of operating the clutch with the original master cylinder and fitting a slave cylinder to the Metro engine. Thanks.
Neville Jones

posted on 14/7/17 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a long lever, it uses a Mini slave cylinder.

If it's a shortish lever, then the Metro slave is needed.

Either slave will do the job.

I've got one of each slave here new, if you want one.

Cheers,
Nev.

LBMEFM

posted on 14/7/17 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nev, the lever is 6cm from centre of holes, I assume that's a short one. However there is no connecting rod either have you one of those too. That said, on the clutch housing there is just a single small hole by the lever so I just can't make out how a slave cylinder could be fitted. To add to the confusion I went to a classic car auction today and there were two Metro's, a 1989 and a 1994 one, both had cable clutches, would that be because they were later cars. I am of course assuming that the person I bought my 1980 Mini was correct in saying that it was definitely a 1300cc Metro engine , the engine number is 12H024 123311 if that helps.
MikeRJ

posted on 14/7/17 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
The Metro used a cable operated clutch from around 1985, the operating arm on these has a hole at the cable end, and the cable has a clevis that fits over the arm. The hydraulic Verto arm has a fork at the end which the push rod attaches to. To go with hydraulic you will need the forked arm with the push rod, the metal mounting bracket for the slave cylinder and the slave cylinder itself.

MINI COOPER A+ ENGINE VERTO CLUTCH BRACKET FOR SLAVE CYLINDER METRO CONVERTION

CLASSIC MINI VERTO CLUTCH ARM LEVER-ROVER-998-AUSTIN-1275-SPI-MPI-SPRITE-METRO

GSY118 VERTO TYPE CLASSIC MINI VERTO CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER 83-99

That said, the Verto clutch and flywheel in the metro (and later minis) is a heavy old lump. If you are intending to tune the engine to any extent I'd go for the original mini flywheel and clutch, along with the slave, long operating arm and plunger that goes with the older system. This gives you the option of some really light steel flywheels and different strengths for the diaphragm spring. The Verto gives a lighter and smoothr engagement, so a better choice for a standard engine especially if used in traffic a lot.

LBMEFM

posted on 15/7/17 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Cracked it, I was at Lydden Hill today and a Mini running a1300cc engine was there. I get it now a bracket is secured by the one hole in the clutch cover to which the slave cylinder is then fitted. Thanks for your help guys, Barry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.