Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Harness Extension
K19

posted on 17/7/17 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Harness Extension

Having a bit of an issue with my harness, the harness mounts are quite far back on the roll car (back supports), which means the shoulder straps are a basically a bit short.

I've heard of a few people making an extension out of 5mm steel, i.e just bolting a long bit of steel on roll bar thats 10cm long that will rotate on the bolt, and attaching the harness to that. Also a few people have mentioned that I could use a saloon harness as they are normally longer, but that requires buying a new harness!

Is there a better solution? e.g a small length of harness with a connector that I can add on? Can't find anything of the sort by searching the internet

Thanks again for any help/advice

I have no idea what I'm doing.

gremlin1234

posted on 17/7/17 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Is there a better solution?

flippant answer, go on a diet ?

K19

posted on 17/7/17 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hahahaha. The harness fits fine for me, as I have the seat all the way back, but anyone less than 6 foot isn't going to have a good fitting harness!

I have no idea what I'm doing.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 18/7/17 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
If the roll hoop is MSA standard, don't weld anything to it. It will be o.k to weld an extension to material welded to it but do not bolt it on. You can then bolt the belts to it as it will be part of the frame and not an extension....You cannot join pieces of belt together and be MSA compliant......
loggyboy

posted on 18/7/17 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
If the roll hoop is MSA standard, don't weld anything to it. It will be o.k to weld an extension to material welded to it but do not bolt it on. You can then bolt the belts to it as it will be part of the frame and not an extension....You cannot join pieces of belt together and be MSA compliant......

There's no reason you cant weld to an MSA compliant cage, providing it isn't removing material or weakening the structure.

Mistral Motorsport

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 18/7/17 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
If the main hoop is modified to anything other than the ROPS certificate it will fail scrutineering, However, you can weld to the structure inside it . All the roll hoops that have had extensions welded on top are being failed and certainly don't drill into it.
loggyboy

posted on 18/7/17 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redturner
If the main hoop is modified to anything other than the ROPS certificate it will fail scrutineering, However, you can weld to the structure inside it . All the roll hoops that have had extensions welded on top are being failed and certainly don't drill into it.

You confusing Homologated cages with those built to the specs laid out in Part K. Its only Homologated cages that have certificates and cant be modified, and they are few and far between. The only Locost that has one i'm aware of is the Procomp LA locost.

Mistral Motorsport

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 18/7/17 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
I have just gone through all this with my car, but if you say different, well so be it...
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/7/17 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
does the OP actually mention anything about race certification requirements? I don't think so....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 18/7/17 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I mentioned all that because I am aware that owners of these car do take part in sprints and hill climbs, which are subject to BB rules. It would be a shame if he did the mods and if and when he entered a meeting, or anyone else reading this thread, and found it wasn't acceptable........
Angel Acevedo

posted on 18/7/17 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
In a Cessna 152 Aerobat, the harness is anchored to the airframe with Cable Extensions.
Can you use that concept/Idea?
HTH
AA

See link, it´s about mid page...
http://www.unterman-aviation.com/aircraft/1979CessnaAerobat.php

[Edited on 7/18/2017 by Angel Acevedo]

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.