Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric coolant pumps?
40inches

posted on 19/7/17 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Electric coolant pumps?

Are these reliable, in comparison to mechanical ones?
spiderman

posted on 19/7/17 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've used Davies Craig ones before, no problems with the pump, but wiring issues are always an Achilles heel with any electrical ancillaries, use good connectors crimped with a proper ratchet crimper, and make sure of a good earth point.

Spider

gaz_gaz

posted on 19/7/17 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the Davies Craig AWP80 and controller on a couple of cars.
Never had any issues with them. The controller controls the water pump and rad fan

If you're looking for a setup drop Simon (dopdog) a message. I think he has some kit for sale.

coyoteboy

posted on 19/7/17 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Im curious as to how people remove the belt driven pump on timing belt drive pump systems. I wanted to run one on my V8 but decided against it in the end, now I'm getting jealous lol

flak monkey

posted on 22/7/17 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Im curious as to how people remove the belt driven pump on timing belt drive pump systems. I wanted to run one on my V8 but decided against it in the end, now I'm getting jealous lol

You can remove the impeller from most quite easily, or at least cut the fins off.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/7/17 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with electric pumps is that is very difficult to know when they stopped working.
Depending on the location of your water temperature sensor it may be too late when you have a Hight Temperature Indication.
There´s a "How to" on how to install a Cylinder Head Temperature indicator somewhere.
With this even if you have "normal" water temperature, you may have an early warning that something is not going well with cooling.
My 2 mexican cents...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 22/7/17 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Mine runs all he time with the battery key on the force! No issues so far
coyoteboy

posted on 25/7/17 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

You can remove the impeller from most quite easily, or at least cut the fins off.

Looking at the spare I have in the garage, if you pulled the impeller off there's no step in the shaft to hold it in the bearing/seal so every chance it could walk out over time? Hmm I might trim if I go that way, or replace with a push-fit collar.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.