Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec ST170 Cylinder head refurb
Barksavon

posted on 22/7/17 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec ST170 Cylinder head refurb

I'm putting a ST170 engine in my Avon. I think the mileage of the engine is around 145000 so I'm considering taking the head off and refreshing the valve seats etc. I'm using a Haynes manual for a standard zetec and am a bit confused over one issue. At present I've set No 1 cyl to TDC on the compression stroke (as per the haynes) and got the crank
locked with the pin and the cams locked with the 5mm bar, I've taken the timing belt off. The manual states that the intake and exhaust cam lobes of no 1 cylinder will be pointing upwards (though not vertical) and the valve clearances can be checked. Does this make sense?
The lobes of no 1 cyl cams on my engine at present are pointing out to each side of the cyl head.
Am I doing summat wrong , is the manual wrong or is it different for the ST170(apart from the fact the ST170 has the vvt)
Any advice etc very welcome
Thanks
Ian

[Edited on 22/7/17 by Barksavon]

chris

posted on 22/7/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
if you have the haynes zetec manual then the valve clearence measurements will be wrong any way the zetec engine has shims and the st170 has solid machined lifters which can only be adjusted by an engineering shop if you have the engine at tdc and the cams locked then thats correct when taking camshafts off i would number everything including the lifters cos they are machined to fit that valve
snapper

posted on 23/7/17 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
The cam rotates at half the speed of the crank so you may need to rotate the crank 1 more time to get the cam in the right position

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Barksavon

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. Didn't know about the machined lifters on the 170 engine so that's very useful. I did try turning the crank further but as far as I can see the bar that locks the cams in place only fits in one position in a complete revolution because the slots in the ends of the cams are offset....?
chris

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
yes thats correct the cams will only lock in one position you will have to excuse snapper paul he is only just about to make the move into modern engines lol
you may find the locking bar might not fit cos the inlet cam may be advanced a little due to it not returning to the retarded position fully

[Edited on 23/7/17 by chris]

Barksavon

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Snappers not the only one making his first move into modern engines... I'm fine with a pinto or an a series, fuel injection and vvt is a completely new ball game for me and I'm getting on a bit now, hence every bit of advice is invaluable...☺
Thanks very much
Ian

chris

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
solid lifters means it can rev higher than a standard zetec
chris

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
i use the term modern engine loosely the zetec and st are 20 years old approx
coozer

posted on 24/7/17 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Inlet cam on the st170 can float aboit a bit when theres no oil pressure ie not running.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Barksavon

posted on 24/7/17 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone tell me, Do i need to take the camshaft pulleys off to remove the cams and what do I do with the vvt unit, I can't take the head off with cams in situ
Thanks

rusty nuts

posted on 24/7/17 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do do not use the camshaft timing tool to hold the cam whilst slackening or tightening the pulley bolts, use a proper cam pulley holding tool . Not sure if the normal type fits the inlet cam on your engine though.
Barksavon

posted on 24/7/17 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
No the tool won't work on the ST170 inlet pulley

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.