Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Recommend an Atom driving experience....
cliftyhanger

posted on 23/7/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Recommend an Atom driving experience....

My youngest daughter has an eye for cars. She is always on about driving an Atom (which is good, as she is atom sized at a nadge over 5'
Anyway, anybody tried a driving experience in an atom? South East as we are in Brighton, though she is mainly in SE London when at Uni.
And yes, she has a full licence, and has also done a "Car Limits" handling day in our old MX5 at North Weald. Yes she did spin, but without hesitation restarted and floored the poor old Mazda off into the distance.....

Cheers, Clive

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 23/7/17 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
I did an atom and super car experience very disappointing if she's drive on track/car limits day atom experience would be dull a trackday would be much more fun
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 23/7/17 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
One day I may let her loose in my car. But not at the moment!
The car limits was a very simple day, a go at a high speed bend and then a couple of short autosolo type circuits.

She has always wanted to drive an atom (actually she wants one. And a Cayman) so this would be a decent present for her. I realise she will not get a chance to be "unrestricted" but she will love it....

[Edited on 23/7/17 by cliftyhanger]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
snippy

posted on 23/7/17 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I did an Atom driving experience a few years back. It was with a company called 6th gear experience. They have a website with the atom pricing on. I did mine locally but they use circuits in the South too. From memory I got a hot lap or two as a passenger and then drove it for 3 laps. It was soon over!
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt5964

posted on 24/7/17 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
As with most "experiences " Palmer sport do it best

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/atom-how-fast.aspx





Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
LBMEFM

posted on 24/7/17 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look out for Everyman Racing they have days where you can drive a number of super cars, Mclarens, Ferraris, Aston Martins, Lambo's and of course the Arial Atom. Have a look at Lydden Hills Events website, Everyman Racing has Friday 29th - Saturday 30th listed. But be careful, I see on Trip Adviser that it's not as good as it seems, maybe better off taking her to a track day.

[Edited on 24/7/17 by LBMEFM]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 24/7/17 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
i did one a while back at Brands Hatch, it was only around 7-8 laps on Indy but was really well run and the instructor was really pushing me to squeeze a bit more of it... Can't remember the event organiser which isn't particularly helpful, i'll try and dig it out
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 24/7/17 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
As with most "experiences " Palmer sport do it best

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/atom-how-fast.aspx


I'd have to disagree with that, the one I drove there was terrible. It was a bit over-steery in the corners, and absolutely shocking at braking in a straight line. Under firm braking (in a totally straight line) I was having to put on a lot of opposite lock to keep it straight and under hard braking it just spun.

[Edited on 24/7/17 by rodgling]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pekwah1

posted on 24/7/17 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
ah, so mine was with "racing-school.co.uk" who i have just discovered went into administration this year....
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt5964

posted on 24/7/17 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
As with most "experiences " Palmer sport do it best

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/atom-how-fast.aspx


I'd have to disagree with that, the one I drove there was terrible. It was a bit over-steery in the corners, and absolutely shocking at braking in a straight line. Under firm braking (in a totally straight line) I was having to put on a lot of opposite lock to keep it straight and under hard braking it just spun.

[Edited on 24/7/17 by rodgling]


The how fast Atom experience must be different to the corporate palmersport day they run as I've done several over the years and they have always been first class much better than any other experience offered appear from contacting a race team for a track day in which case that beats the lot, I did one with several race car before buying a seven style car to see if we liked it in a R400 race winning car was an awesome day at Coombe

Maybe you had a off car on an off day 🙃





Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rodgling

posted on 24/7/17 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
As with most "experiences " Palmer sport do it best

http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/products/atom-how-fast.aspx


I'd have to disagree with that, the one I drove there was terrible. It was a bit over-steery in the corners, and absolutely shocking at braking in a straight line. Under firm braking (in a totally straight line) I was having to put on a lot of opposite lock to keep it straight and under hard braking it just spun.

[Edited on 24/7/17 by rodgling]


The how fast Atom experience must be different to the corporate palmersport day they run as I've done several over the years and they have always been first class much better than any other experience offered appear from contacting a race team for a track day in which case that beats the lot, I did one with several race car before buying a seven style car to see if we liked it in a R400 race winning car was an awesome day at Coombe

Maybe you had a off car on an off day 🙃


Yeah, maybe just unlucky with the car (it was a dry day so can't blame the weather) - although I do wonder if the addition of a heavy LPG tank (all their cars are LPG) screwed up the weight distribution & handling. That was the Palmersport day btw, not the how fast event, but I'd assume they use the same cars.

[Edited on 24/7/17 by rodgling]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 24/7/17 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Palmer out of price range!

Thinking of the one at Bovingdon airfield.
https://www.trackdays.co.uk/driving-experience/bovingdon-airfield/ariel-atom-300/4359/#gOQf0hkfV6EAUDmt.97
69 sounds a good price, and we don't expect miracles. Most around the 100 mark seem to allow 6 miles of driving, and this one is on a short track so hopefully easier to learn quickly and top speed isn't what she will be after.

At some point I will drag her along to a trackday. The TR register do some where they set aside a few sessions for noobies or "nervous" starters, and that will be ideal. Plus their trackdays are pretty reasonable, and no idiots....

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.