Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: starter relay keeps blowing 5vy
number-1

posted on 25/7/17 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
starter relay keeps blowing 5vy

Righteooooo

Well i typed a decent post........but lost it all so this is take 2!!!! You may need a cuppa to understand what im trying to explain!

Ive got a 2004 R1 5vy engine in the back of my kit car. The brief set up is engine in the back, going to main isolator switch next to cockpit which goes to a smaller isolator on the dash which goes on to feed the power to the starter button, dash, lights etc etc

The issue i have is the 15amp starter relay fuse blowing. It did it when driving a few days back and yesterday whenever i flicked the dash Isolator to the on position.

In order to get any power to the dash, both isolators need to be on.

Ive not had a proper look due to poor light but so far i cant find any wires that are bare and grounding out causing the fuse to blow either under the bonnet or engine bay.....however......the main isolator coming from the engine is housed in an ali case and bolted to the chasis. Ive found a partial bare wire inside that with scratch marks on the ali case right next to the bare wire.......my thinking is that this could be the issue.....however ive spoken to a motorcycle mechanic who said it wont be as the starter relay is before the main isolator switch in the circuit.

Now i understand that.....but what if the isolator is wired like the picture ill try to attach? Could the wire i found be the cause?

Any help or abuse will be listened to

[Edited on 25/7/17 by number-1]

40inches

posted on 25/7/17 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Insulate the wire, replace fuse and try again?
bonzoronnie

posted on 25/7/17 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
If the fuse is between the battery feed wire and the isolator switch, it will most definitely blow the fuse if the isolator wiring is shorting to earth.
number-1

posted on 25/7/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thats what ive done and it starts and drives, but as it was intermitant and happened when driving a few days ago i wanted to be sure as if the bike mechanic is right then theres something wrong somewhere else and id rather not find out thats the case when miles away from home

I think the question i was asking..... based on the picture attached above...... would the starter relay be before or after the isolator switch? If its after, then my find could be the problem.

Its confusing as its not blowing as soon as turn the main isolator switch to ON..the one with the bare wire! It only blows when the second isolator is turned on

[Edited on 25/7/17 by number-1]

adithorp

posted on 25/7/17 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect the bike mechanic will be thinking about how the original bike is wired... unless he's seen the way the loom has been altered/extended for use in the car. I'd expect that isolator switch to be between the bike loom and battery, so yes your bare wire could be the fault. Even then it depends how the loom has been extended and where. Do you not have a wiring diagram for the alterations? Did someone else build the car? Can you trace what the bare wire goes to/from?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

number-1

posted on 25/7/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
The bare wire goes from 'Main electrical feed circuit/alternator' to W1 or 1 on the picture above (the right hand terminal on W1)

No I didn't build the car. I've bought it recently as a track car and occasional sunny day drive out car but I've had BECs before and know how much hassle a simple thing can cause

adithorp

posted on 25/7/17 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
For info'... The 15a fuse on the starter solenoid isn't the starter fuse. Main feed to the starter isn't fused.

The 15a on there is fuel injection fuse, feeding the ECU, injectors and fuel pump. To blow that it'd have to be a fault on that circuit. Trace the red wire out of the starter solenoid plug (not the bolt on ones, from memory there's 2 that then come together) that go to the start circuit cut-off rely. It then comes out of there as a red with blue tracer and branches to fuel pump. ECU, and injectors. Any short blowing that fuse would most likely be on those 2 wires or anything spliced into them. If not it could be on a switched feed out of the ECU.

adithorp

posted on 25/7/17 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by number-1
The bare wire goes from 'Main electrical feed circuit/alternator' to W1 or 1 on the picture above (the right hand terminal on W1)

No I didn't build the car. I've bought it recently as a track car and occasional sunny day drive out car but I've had BECs before and know how much hassle a simple thing can cause

You need to trace exactly were that wire goes because if it's as the diagram and all the bike loom is after where those 2 wire join in that diagrm It'd just be shorting to earth and not blowing a fuse.

number-1

posted on 26/7/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the advice boys.

I spent the evening out there yesterday with a mate and his multimeter. I drank beer as he worked.

We are 99.9 percent sure that the bare wire rubbing against the ali housing is the issue. The bare wire has continuaty with the relay and is the first fuse in the circuit as such.

The proof will be when i take the car out at the weekend

Ive got breakdown cover as of last night lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.