Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First change old oil or first get old engine hot?
ElmrPhD

posted on 29/7/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
First change old oil or first get old engine hot?

Hi,
Getting ready to fire up a 2005 Honda S2000 engine that sat still for a long time (first from 2010 to 2015 - then I tested it before buying it - and now it has sat still except for cranking, but failing to fire up).
So, my question is, should I try to get rid of that ancient oil without first heating it up or is it ok to first get it hot (once I figure out my starting problem) and then drain it more properly?
Thanks,
Steve, in the NLs

CosKev3

posted on 29/7/17 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I would drop the old oil out now before starting,refill with the cheapest correct grade oil for the engine and use that until you want to use the engine properly on the road then drop that and fill with something decent
ElmrPhD

posted on 29/7/17 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
That sounds like good advice.
So, no need to splurge on the specified synthetic oil, but just use old-school dino juice, right?

theconrodkid

posted on 29/7/17 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have used turbo diesel oil in most of my cars,it is a mild detergent and plenty man enough for most aplications

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Angel Acevedo

posted on 29/7/17 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Back in the days when I used to fly we drove a tattered Mustang that leaked oil like a sieve, we would get used aviation oil and pour as it was consumed.
The engine, altough very old, looked as new on the inside from all the detergent action of the aviation oil.
Sometimes I wonder if doing so with my daily drivers every now and then would be beneficial.
Saying goes here that if you use oil like that on an old engine may lead to filter/passage clogging and ultimately engine failure.
We never had oiling problems on that car. and I don´t recall ever changing the oil filter either.
We drove that car for a good two years.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.