Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starting issues - Blown fuse
Plunky

posted on 30/7/17 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Starting issues - Blown fuse

Hello All,
Following on from a previous topic where I was having issues starting my zetec powered F27 after pulling the engine out and tidying some of the wiring up.
I have now found what I think is the issue, and that being a blown fuse. I have replaced the fuse to which it keeps blowing once powered.
I think it is something to do with the injection system, as I can get the engine to fire, but not run.
I have no idea where to start though as the wiring is not the tidiest!
To my knowledge, I have not changed anything, only replaced poor connectors etc. and the car started and ran fine before.
Is there anyone local to Chippenham that could possibly help?
I have a good understanding of electronics etc, but where I haven't done the wiring in this car it isn't the easiest to follow!
Thanks,
Liam

britishtrident

posted on 30/7/17 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
First step is always a visual inspection of the harness and connectors, concentration on areas subject to heat, vibration, tight bends or water ingress.
At this stage keep in pulling or bending of the harness to a minium.

The next move is to connect a low wattage tungsten test light in place of the fuse, this will control the current to a safe non-damaging level and give you a visual indication of how much current is flowing. You can if you want connect a multimeter reading current in series with the test lamp but this is not really required. One thing to keep in mind when looking for shorts is most digital multimeters are fused at only 10amps and will give no indication of a blown fuse.

You can now start proding and poking at the harness and disconnecting electrical units that might be fed off this fuse. As you have no wiring diagram cast your search wide. The prime suspects are anything with an electric motor or solenoid coil -- fuel pump, windscreen wiper, windscreen washer, horn, fuel injectors, coils and any relay.

There are electronic tools for locating shorts and breaks in wires but I have never found them that effective once a wire enters a main harness.
The is also a voltage drop method, by using accupuncture wire piercing probes but that is a usually last resort.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 30/7/17 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Plunky

posted on 8/8/17 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info above!
I'm still none the wiser though!
I really need some help I think. Does anyone know of any good auto electricians based around Wiltshire?
If I had the time and money, I'd pull it all apart and do a proper job of it all.

Plunky

posted on 10/8/17 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
anyone?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.