Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Master Cylinders...
scootz

posted on 8/8/17 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
Master Cylinders...

Don't believe we've had a MC sizing discussion for about 24 hours, so thought it was my turn...

Building a Midi with pretty much the same calliper / disc / pad combo front to back. Only difference is that the front twin-pot caliper pistons are 44.5mm and the rears are 41.3mm.

I already have an unused 0.7 MC that I could put to use on the rear circuit. If I source a 0.625 MC for the fronts, then that will offer 60/40 distribution... am I in the right ballpark for a Midi?

That said, I actually have two 0.7 MC's... if I fitted both, then I'd have 54/46 distribution... is this straying into too dangerous ground? Aaand... I have a proportioning valve gathering dust on a shelf... I could stick it on the rear line and drop some of the pressure going to the back?

I know there's an element of 'suck it and see', but I'm aiming for the set-up that's most likely to succeed first time round as I hate fannying about with brake lines!

Cheers all.

[Edited on 8/8/17 by scootz]

It's Evolution Baby!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 8/8/17 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
I have identical calipers (41mm twin pots) front/rear, with a 0.7 feeding the rear, a 0.625 feeding the front. It's been a good, useable set up and remains so.
Brake balance bar is still heavily balanced towards the front, so add that to the equation...

scootz

posted on 8/8/17 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks.

My pedals are billet-aluminium and there's not enough material to accept the industry standard 30mm-ish brake-bias sleeve. Also, the sleeves are steel, so I couldn't weld it in place (although I've seen AP fitting instructions which suggest that bonding is acceptable).

Therefore I'd planned to fit a solidly-mounted non-adjustable bar (sorry - should have mentioned this at the start!).

I guess I could try the 0.625 / 0.7 combo on a flat bar and tweak the rear circuit with the proportioning valve?

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 13/8/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
This shows the calcs for 2 x 0.7 MC's.

I see the 'Line Pressure' has come up with red text (indicating a warning). Is 1413 psi really too much???

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.