Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car insurance claim
roadrunner

posted on 11/8/17 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Car insurance claim

Hi all.

My wife had a little bump on our shared drive last weekend with there daughters Toyota. She damaged the bumper and boot door.

I managed to pop there bumper back ok, and pull 90% of there boot door straight leaving the ripples to straighten out.

We have just had the repair quote back of £850.

I'm going to make a claim on the insurance. I can either claim on the wife's car that we have only been using for 2 years and that's all the no claims is on it. Or I can claim on my insurance which has full protected no claims on it.

Which route would be cheapest in the long run.
Was tempted to claim on mine and get it detailed at the same time.

Regards

Brad.

craigdiver

posted on 11/8/17 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Hi all.

My wife had a little bump on our shared drive last weekend with there daughters Toyota. She damaged the bumper and boot door.

I managed to pop there bumper back ok, and pull 90% of there boot door straight leaving the ripples to straighten out.

We have just had the repair quote back of £850.

I'm going to make a claim on the insurance. I can either claim on the wife's car that we have only been using for 2 years and that's all the no claims is on it. Or I can claim on my insurance which has full protected no claims on it.

Which route would be cheapest in the long run.
Was tempted to claim on mine and get it detailed at the same time.

Regards

Brad.

I personally, would go down the non-fraudulent route and claim on the insurance of the car that caused the damage.

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

24vseven

posted on 11/8/17 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
having worked in this area and dealt with insurance companies i would claim on your wife's car for 2 reasons.

firstly, protected no claims discount is only that they will not reduce your level of no claims for one claim in that year so if you were to have a second claim that would wipe the protection out, additionally its only a protection on level of discount nothing else you will still show a fault accident against you therefore increasing you as a risk in there eyes and therefore the premium before discount,

secondly, the insurance assessors will look for inconsistency in the claim and will note that the "damage" to your car may not match the damage to the other car and may reject the claim leaving you further out of pocket plus open to a charge of fraud at the extreme.

as mentioned above unfortunately honesty id the best policy with insurance claims

roadrunner

posted on 11/8/17 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks fellas.
I should of mentioned that the when I say it's the wife's car, it is actually mine with the wife added on. ;-(

owelly

posted on 11/8/17 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'll also add, that anyone who is named on your policies needs to declare the claim/accident on ALL the policies. So you'll be telling both policy underwriters about the claim anyway.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 11/8/17 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
How much is a boot door off ebay?

£850 quoted but how much is your excess?

If you claim, regardless of ncb protection, your insurance will go up.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.