Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cooling temperature without pressurized cooling system
alfas

posted on 11/8/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
cooling temperature without pressurized cooling system

by mistake i forgot to close the lever on my radiaotr cap (cap is on thermostat housing, ford x/flow, overflow goes in an open bottle), means the cooling system didnt get pressurized.

i was driving quite a long distance, outside temperature at the day was around 28 degrees, mix between a-roads, b-roads, mountains etc. and wondered why my cooling temperature was around 5-10degrees lower than usual....until i recognized when arriving back home in my garage that i forgot to close the lever.

anybody can explain me this phenomenon?

i know that pressurizing the system sets the boiling point of water higher, but never expected that an unpressurized system runs cooler?

typing those lines i remember having seen trucks in (hot) 3rd world countries driving around with removed radiator cap

r1_pete

posted on 11/8/17 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Under atmospheric pressure, water boils at 100 deg C, so that is the maximum temperature it can achive.

Under pressure it can and does exceed that temperature, hence the immediate boil when the pressure cap is released.

Running without a rad cap will result in the water boiling away.

Your coolant level may have also dropped below the temp sensor, causing the low reading.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alfas

posted on 11/8/17 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
i know all those physical things...

the coolant level was spot on, the thermostat housing full of water (consecutively the temperature sender , which is lower than the thermostat housing, also covered with water)....thats why im wondering

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.