Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: small bump in tesco carpark
02GF74

posted on 16/8/17 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
small bump in tesco carpark

less than 1 hour ago I had small bump in Tesco carpark, was reversing slowly out after checking all is clear and a range rover caught my rear bumper. driver was driving bosses car.

anyways, there is small scuff on the nearside lower wing of the other car (quite impressed by how little damage compared to mine )

anyways I am looking to resolve this without getting my insurance involved. is that possible, or do I have to report to my insurance?

I'm guessing having more than one car, my insurance will go up on both even though only one was actually involved. Quick question 1 do I have to give enough my I strange details.

If I do, can the other driver or his insurer contact my insurer so they are aware of accident.

Of course I'm assuming that any assessors will say I am to blame.

J

[Edited on 16/8/17 by 02GF74]

bi22le

posted on 16/8/17 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am not sure of the legal line that needs to be towed but here is a little story.

My wife was stationary and a guy went into the back of her. Decent chap and quite young so there was an agreement that he would settle away from the insurance company.
I think this is fine because if nothing else it means the insurance company won't sell your contact information on to a claims company so you get 10 years of "we understand you may have been involved in an accident at some time, some where!"

So, I called the guy and laid out the terms. We get a couple of quotes to repair the damage. If you want to pay cash, we can meet up and there will be no insurance involved. If you suddenly go quiet or refuse then I'll phone the insurance company or police.

He was cool and with a bit of chasing and avoiding my calls he pays up.

So, there is no problem in my eyes but be prepared to do the leg work. If they are expected to pay they will try their hardest too dodge you and string it out.

[Edited on 16/8/17 by bi22le]

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

ReMan

posted on 16/8/17 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Given the circumstances I think you'll be lucky if the other driver ( boss off) doesn't contact insurance anyway and by your reg plate it will come back to you

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

loggyboy

posted on 17/8/17 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
Technically you should inform your insurers of any accident, even if you dont intend to claim. You can void your insurance if you don't.

Mistral Motorsport

iant88

posted on 17/8/17 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
"Technically you should inform your insurers of any accident, even if you dont intend to claim. You can void your insurance if you don't. "

Even if its on private land ? (ie Tesco car park)

SCAR

posted on 17/8/17 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
It may be private land but as it's subject to public access its the same as a public highway.
morcus

posted on 17/8/17 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't risk it as he could take you money then report it to the insurance, pocket your money and then have your insurance company pay for it and possibly even pursue you for costs for not reporting the accident.

Look at it the other way this is the very reason you have insurance so you've wasted all the money you spent on it if you don't use it.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

02GF74

posted on 25/8/17 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
So update. I called my insurance company to report. If I were to claim on my car it would cost me 250 and car gets written off. I probably can fix it for 100 and not have it cat d.

Other car is £396.

Not sure if it will be cheaper to pay and not have a claim (accident was reported) or let insurance pay. . I will told as I'm not claiming it will cost me nothing but I am sure I'll repay that in future premiums

joneh

posted on 26/8/17 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
If you've reported it to the insurance, then then you will have to declare that you've had an accident at renewal time...

Isn't the damage done, or do you now declare "claims" rather than accidents?

02GF74

posted on 26/8/17 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
If you've reported it to the insurance, then then you will have to declare that you've had an accident at renewal time...

Isn't the damage done, or do you now declare "claims" rather than accidents?

Yes. 😔 compare website show with claim goes up by 50,with accident but no claim 40.

After 5 years not declared. Assume increase is same per year so I pay 5*50=250 with claim or 4*40+400 without.
Seems I'm better off leaving it to insurance to pay.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.