Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Protective steering.
Crockpot

posted on 17/8/17 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Protective steering.

I'm rebuilding my wife's Ford Pop hot rod with BIVA in mind. I'm ok on most of the manual but I am struggling with the requirements for protective steering.
On first reading of the manual section I thought that one option was needed but reading on here it seems it requires more.
My plan is this. I have a lower column section that can collapse into the upper column. The connection from the lower column to the rack is offset but only by approx 30mm. Will this be adequate? I will fit a collapsible steering wheel boss plus a padded wheel.
Does this sound ok? Comments.

Many thanks.

adithorp

posted on 17/8/17 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
That seems to cover it to me.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

posted on 17/8/17 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
The 30mm offset would depend on the length as the requirement will be an angular dimension.

As I understand, your lower shaft is collapsible, backwards, and you top wheel can collapse forwards. Yes?

Then the middle must be fixed, usually at the bulkhead, so that if either of the aforementioned collapse the the other is unaffected.
If both collapse then the centre must hold, otherwise the lower column would push the upper column/wheel back in your face.

I took my steering parts from a Vauxhall Nova and there was a flange that bolted to a double thickness part of the bulkhead.
I retained this design in my Seven.

Paul G

Crockpot

posted on 17/8/17 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul G,

yes, the lower shaft is collapsible backwards, and the top wheel can collapse forwards.
The column is fixed at the bulkhead.
The manual does not specify an angular offset but states that less than 10 degrees is likely to be effective (sounds like a stated figure in all but name!). I may struggle to get 10 deg. Time for plan B when I work out what it is.

posted on 17/8/17 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
From memory I think it was either or.

I had JUST 10 deg AND the telescopic bit, but the IVA inspector was more worried about the steering wheels ability to collapse.

I used my phone shoved up under the dash and after a few attempts managed a pic of the diamond mesh collapsible section.

He was happy with that.

Paul G

Crockpot

posted on 18/8/17 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
After some schoolboy maths and re-arranging I now have 10deg of offset. Yay!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.