Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Roll cage supports brackets
craigdiver

posted on 22/8/17 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Roll cage supports brackets

Welded in brackets to accept the gudgeon pins on the roll cage support bars. Looking at the book it is not showing any bracing between rear rail and diff cage / suspension mount steelwork, is this bracing needed or does this look ok?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 23/8/17 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Similar to mine, not saying it's right, but it's similar to mine
Nickp

posted on 23/8/17 at 06:22 AM Reply With Quote
Got me thinking now.....what about removable braces back to the diff cage so you can still fit/remove the tank?
craigdiver

posted on 23/8/17 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
Got me thinking now.....what about removable braces back to the diff cage so you can still fit/remove the tank?

I agree Nick, for all the structural bracing throughout the chassis, this seems lacking. I'm sure this would give if I ended upside down with large forces on the roll bar.

Interesting that it was ok for IVA, I suppose if it was scrutineered by race marshals as a life saving roll cage, it would fail.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Nickp

posted on 23/8/17 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
quote:

I agree Nick, for all the structural bracing throughout the chassis, this seems lacking. I'm sure this would give if I ended upside down with large forces on the roll bar.

Interesting that it was ok for IVA, I suppose if it was scrutineered by race marshals as a life saving roll cage, it would fail.

It isn't even needed for the IVA and hopefully won't be needed for life saving duties either!!
I am considering side / door bars that run from the upper loop forwards to the chassis so it's braced forwards as well as rearwards. Or a full cage, not decided yet.

craigdiver

posted on 23/8/17 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

It isn't even needed for the IVA and hopefully won't be needed for life saving duties either!!
I am considering side / door bars that run from the upper loop forwards to the chassis so it's braced forwards as well as rearwards. Or a full cage, not decided yet.

If it wasn't for the seatbelt upper mounts I might have left it off entirely.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Andybarbet

posted on 23/8/17 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Mine go all the way down to the bottom corners, I've seen plenty done similar to yours though.

spare wheel box section
spare wheel box section

If you look at the Westfields they didn't used to have any bracing, just the bolt on rollbar so I think you will be fine like that.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

CosKev3

posted on 23/8/17 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Yeah but you need to remember that the roll bar itself is the main strong point if you were upside down,the rear stays just help to hold the main roll bar upright incase you have any forces trying to push the rollbar forwards/backwards

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.