Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone offer advice on a possible legal battle...
prawnabie

posted on 26/8/17 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone offer advice on a possible legal battle...

Hi all,

Long story...

We bought our current house 2 years ago from a separated couple, wife lived in house husband hadn't for a while, seemed like the split was amicable. Since then we have been getting lots of post for both of them on a daily basis. Some of them you can feel bank cards in and it all goes back in the post box with "not known at this address" on, but still they keep coming back, some even with my writing still on!!

The issue we have is that I opened one addressed to the husband by mistake and it is a pre-court letter from a county council for a non payment of a parking ticket. It looks like a few have been sent already as the fine has been going up and up and this is the final reminder before they take him to court.

Now obviously this means he hasn't updated his details with the DVLA - I'm not surprised really, but the thing that worries me is bailiffs turning up when I'm not here and either putting the sh1tters up the wife of trying their luck climbing over the fence or something.

The first port of call is to call the council number on the letter but am I due a ticking off for opening the letter in the first place or does it sound reasonably easy to get sorted?

TIA,
Shaun

[Edited on 26/8/17 by prawnabie]

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 26/8/17 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Shortly after we moved into our place we had some baliffs around after a previous occupier, (We wernt in) so i called the baliff and explained that we were new occupiers and the debt was nothibg to do with us, they asked for a couple of details so they could check (estate agent details etc) and we never heard from them again.

That was the easy bit, the more difficult bit came later when we found out tgat the adress had been black listed by credit check companies as an address not to do credit with. Some companies could be reasoned with but other (car insurance in particular) would not give credit to taht address so we had to pay all car insurance up front.

We have since moved on but it was annoying and may be worth contacting the councilDVLA etc to letthem know

[Edited on 26/8/17 by Doctor Derek Doctors]

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
steve m

posted on 26/8/17 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
As Derek has said ^^

We had problems with a neighbour using my house as a postal address, he said by accident, and it could well of been as he was a tenant, but back in the days off lots of daily post, I ploughed through all the mail, and opened up a county court judgement for,
I seem to remember off £1000 plus 29 years ago !! my heart sank, in Neil .... name
I rang the company involved, and told them who I was, and how long I had lived there, and that "Neil ....." had never lived there, but actually lived next door

We were sent a couple of forms to fill out, one included getting us off the CCJ, and within days it was all over

However, be very careful as opening up someone else's post is an offence, but is easily done, as im sure that the name was hidden in the plastic window when you were opening it wink wink

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

02GF74

posted on 26/8/17 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly this and despite returning the letters with ever increasing abuse and heavier weights attached (in order to increase their costs) it would not stop. It ended when I called the phone number to the bailiffs and told them that the person they are looking for was not living at the address.
So ask been said, speak to someone.

big_wasa

posted on 26/8/17 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Yep been in my new place coming up three years and we are still getting the mail. It goes quiet for a few weeks then the debt is sold on and new croud try there hand. I don't think they payed one bill while they where here.
Slimy38

posted on 26/8/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
May I also recommend you get a credit check done on your address? As mentioned you may get rid of the initial issue but then find other black marks against you.

Personally I use Noddle as it's the same credit check as the others but it's free. You get a monthly report on your credit health so you can see exactly when things are added to your history.

cliftyhanger

posted on 26/8/17 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have been involved in letting property for donkeys years. Currently working on a pair of houses that had been let as bedsits for over 50 years 9for s relative)

Anyway, I can spot letters chasing money a mile off. I just open them and call them up. They are usually glad to have been called and updated. And amazingly it does seem to work! And never been told off for opening the mail.

mark chandler

posted on 26/8/17 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Suffered that a little bit, on the basis it's my address I just opened and called the sender, all stopped very quickly, we had a few bailiffs so they all must talk to each other.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.