Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric fuel pump correct gauge wire
Eviljohn

posted on 2/9/17 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Electric fuel pump correct gauge wire

Hi all. Hope you are very well indeed. Doing a bike carb conversion on 1983 1043cc polo. Just making sure i have the correct parts and info for last few jobs.
Switching from stock mechanical pump to electric pump from motorbike. Have in-line fuse and inertia switch ready to be wired in. Looking to mount pump behind fuel tank either on a stationary section of rear beam/axle or mount under spare wheel well. The options for wiring that i am aware of are either a wire from the coil fed back through/under the car to pump or from dash, through to pump.
Unless anyone has xp points and can say there is a better/easier way to do this, will the pump draw more power because of longer wire if i use either of these methods? Am i okay to use same gauge wire that is on the pump already?

Eviljohn

posted on 2/9/17 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Using mobile site. Ran out of space. Thanks for stopping by and any guidance you can leave. Much appreciated.
cliftyhanger

posted on 3/9/17 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
As a longer wire is being used, a slightly thicker gauge would be a good idea.

An don't forget an inertia cutout switch.

snowy2

posted on 3/9/17 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
your mechanical pump should be fine for supplying the carbs....an electric bike pump might be for a fuel injected engine.... and useless for a carb set up. if it is from a carb bike....why are you changing it? just because the bike used the pump it dont mean that your car needs to even if your using the bike carbs....
dont expect big power gains from the polo...it will sound different and likely use more fuel but it wont be much if any quicker...maybe 5 -10 mph at top end.....maybe 0.1 second quicker to 60.....but then servicing the car will likely give the same results....as will running stock wheels and tyres rather than rock hard stretched wide tyres on massive rims.
if you really want your polo to go quicker bin all of the interior and fit two light weight seats, if your friends want to go with you get them to buy their own cars as their weight will drastically affect a small engines performance.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

Eviljohn

posted on 3/9/17 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Already have inertia switch and in-line fuse.
Only reason i swapped to bike pump was the mechanical pump wouldn't physically fit between engine and carbs. As i have a different set of carbs and manifold on the way and i still have the mechanical pump lying around, i may as well see if it fits this set up when it arrived. That is the method i wanted to use in the first place.
Intention for the conversion is not for any power gains. Car goes as fast as i need it to which is quicker than walking. From what i've read, once tuned properly bike carbs are more efficient than car carbs. Also had trouble sourcing mount for the car carb i had in place. Carb itself was also problematic.

Eviljohn

posted on 3/9/17 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
If i gain a horse or two as a coinsidence of any mods i do then i'm okay with that. If i go for gains i also have to consider uprating gear box and brakes to compensate for gains. I also have to consider security due to extra attention a quick little car would draw. Extra spend on insurance too if i mod too much. Biggest concern i have is that i take my 5 year old son in my polo. The more power i have, the probability of accident rises. Maybe not very much but still a factor in deciding what mods i do and how.
Eviljohn

posted on 3/9/17 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry if that seemed like a rant. Really wasn't. I appreciate all input and guidance. Thank you.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 4/9/17 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
you did mention insurance - which implied for the road. Even if you make a change that lowers the total power output you'll need to tell the insurance company. They'll then get 'interested' which usually means expensive. Not telling them is cheap till you need the insurance and someone looks under the bonnet. If you're sure no one will look, you'll get away with it - but then if you could be sure about things you wouldn't need the insurance
Eviljohn

posted on 4/9/17 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I already told my insurance company. Full disclosure and all that. Will probly call them again when i have an actual figure from rolling road session. I'm happy to tell them about any mods i've done. Thanks for the guidance though. Always appreciated.
Eviljohn

posted on 5/9/17 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
If the stock mechanical pump fits, do i still need the fuel return or can i blank that off?
Eviljohn

posted on 6/9/17 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
False alarm. Couldn't sleep so ended up bolting carbs on at 05:30 this morning. Mechanical pump doesn't fit between carbs and head. Thanks for stopping by anyway. Have a good day.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.