Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MJLJ questions for PioneerX
Northy

posted on 10/1/05 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
MJLJ questions for PioneerX

Hi PioneerX,

I've got some VX MJLJ related questions to ask you!

How did you fit your trigger wheel to the front pulley? I've had a look on your website but it's not clear from the pictures.

Also, how and where did you mount the VR sensor? Ditto the pitures on the website.

Did you use vacuum advance?

Also, have you got any more information on your keyless ignition switch? I wanted to do that!

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PioneerX

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Northy,

Yep, I know the website pictures are not great for the installation of the tigger wheel and sensor, mainly due to the restricted space and the fact that ALL my parts are black.

First off. The trigger wheel. I want to mount the trigger wheel in such a way that I could still remove the pully, but mounting on the back was no an option as it moved the pully out by 5mm and screws up the belt alightments. So What I did was........Removed the pully Drilled and tapped two M6 holes in the center hub in-between the mounting bolts. I drilled two corresponding holds in the trigger wheel to allow two long M6 bolts to run from the trigger wheel to the center hub, through the open space in the hub. Now heres the key, the vauxhall front pully is actaully two sections (the hub and the pully grooves), these two sections are held together my a rubber interface. The interface helps to absorb shocks to the belts, but it is raised above the surface of the assembly by 0.5-1mm. The exposed rubber interface helps stop any movement in the trigger disk due to the long bolts. Once tightened but the trigger disk and center hub become locked with almost no effect on the rubber interface between the center hub and pully grooves.

As for the VR sensor. My mounting brakets is a plate attached behind the altenator bracket, this plate has an arm that comes out and down to the the trigger wheel.

Yes I have vacuum advance. The dellorto carbs have a vacuum take off on carb1, it sticks out at 45Deg at the very front of the carb. Fortunatly the maifold I have has the servo tak-off on port4. The tread for the servo take off is an ideal fit for the vacuum take off from the mondeo manifold. So I used ports 1 (from the carb) & port 4 (from the servo connection), these are at opersite ends of the cycle and therfore can be tee'd together producing a relativly smooth signal, but this is run through a anti-pulse valve from the same mondeo and the resulting signal does not show every much of the pulsing effect you get from attaching direct to only one branch.

Keyless ignition switch. This is a custom made unit, based on a motorcycle immoliser unit. The system has two dash switches and a wireless transponder. The first switch turns power on the the imobliser unit. Motor Cycle one was used as it does not require power all the time. Whent he unit powers up with the first button, it is imoblised and the lights in the buttons done work. Then the impoliser detects the trasnponder it switches a relay pack, this turns power to the fuse box, power to the button lights so you know the transponder has been picked up. The second button on the dash atives a relay for the starter, the power is passed through the start button & the relay pack to the starter relay. Basically all this means that to turn the cars electrica on you need to push the button with the car on it and have the transponder on you. The button then light up blue and eveything is working. To start you must push the start button, but this will only work is the light is on (ie the transponder has been found). To turn off the whole system simply press the car button again, the blue lights go off the relay pack goes off and the imoboliser arms again. I do have a circuit diagram but not with me right now. Rescued attachment VR Bracket.jpg
Rescued attachment VR Bracket.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
PioneerX

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
more pictures Rescued attachment VR Bracket 2.jpg
Rescued attachment VR Bracket 2.jpg

PioneerX

posted on 11/1/05 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
and more Rescued attachment TriggerDisk1.JPG
Rescued attachment TriggerDisk1.JPG

cidersurfer

posted on 11/1/05 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Some of the Westfield guys are just machining the back flange of the bottom pulley to be used as the trigger pattern

edited to add Picture courtesy of Mr Seabrook

[Edited on 11/1/05 by cidersurfer]

[Edited on 11/1/05 by cidersurfer]

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

PioneerX

posted on 11/1/05 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, that would work well as there is enough material at the back of the pully to do that. To be honist I didnt think of that when I did mine.
NS Dev

posted on 11/1/05 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you configure the ecu to run from the standard vauxhall internal trigger wheel and std Sensor?(assuming you have a 2ltr!)??
PioneerX

posted on 11/1/05 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
NS Dev,

Your right, and even the 1.8 I'm using has an internal trigger, however if memory serves (as I dont have the reference to hand) it's a 62-2 trigger. Strickly speaking the MegaJolt is not the problem, the VR sensor does not feed into the MegaJolt it feeds to the EDIS module, the EDIS then 'requests' the current ignition timing from the MegaJolt on the PIP line and recieved a single on the SAW line that corresponds to the correct advance. Beacuse of this it's the EDIS that does the sync to the tooth signal not the MegaJolt.

Bottom line: To use the Vauxhall trigger wheel would require using something other than the EDIS module and re programming the MJLJ to give the relevent signal to this 'other' module.

Seemed easier just to mount a trigger wheel

cidersurfer

posted on 11/1/05 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
PioneerX is right. The standard Vx is a 62-2 trigger and so won't work with Ford EDIS, it might with another though. If anyone knows which thatwould be a bonus!

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

David Jenkins

posted on 11/1/05 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PioneerX
Keyless ignition switch. This is a custom made unit, based on a motorcycle immoliser unit.

I don't know about the rest of this stuff, but I'd REALLY like to know how you've set up the bike immobiliser.
(Perhaps we can break out of this topic and start a new one in Electrics)
Cheers,

David

[Edited on 11/1/05 by David Jenkins]

PioneerX

posted on 12/1/05 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
David,

I will hunt out my wiring diagram for it and start a new topic in electrics (if no-one has yet ,as I have not get down that far)

Might take me a day or two to find iit though. I will see if I can get some pictures uploaded of it installed as well as I do have it and working.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/1/05 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Any luck?

David

Northy

posted on 14/1/05 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
PioneerX,

Cheers for the replies about the front pulley. I don't think mine has any rubber on it though! Tax runs out at the end of the month so I'll take it off and try and fit my trigger wheel.

What is your triger wheel from? Did you make it? I've got the one from a CVH Sierra from pulley.

Come on, find those ignition details, we're all waiting!

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

NS Dev

posted on 14/1/05 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cidersurfer
PioneerX is right. The standard Vx is a 62-2 trigger and so won't work with Ford EDIS, it might with another though. If anyone knows which thatwould be a bonus!

Well, I don't really know, but the vauxhall system is run dizzyless, but then I think all the ignition is controlled from within the ECU, certainly the crank sensor feeds into the ECU directly.

JJM

posted on 14/1/05 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Taken from Retro Cars mag-"You should also get a Sierra crank pulley which will provide the trigger wheel-or if your after a pressed steel wheel try Ford-£12-part number-1078767"

HTH's, John.

paulf

posted on 14/1/05 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Theres a photo of my crank pulley fitted with a sierra toothed wheel, in the posting alloy crank pulley for a crossflow.
I have spent today making the sensor bracket and now have that fitted also , i used the sierra sensor.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by JJM
Taken from Retro Cars mag-"You should also get a Sierra crank pulley which will provide the trigger wheel-or if your after a pressed steel wheel try Ford-£12-part number-1078767"

HTH's, John.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.