Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Noisey Fuel Pump
carl M

posted on 18/9/17 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Noisey Fuel Pump

After unsuccessfully trying to run a HP fuel pump from a sump in the tank, I installed a LP pump and swirl pot. Due to the low miles I figured I would save money and buy a cheap LP pump, it's mounted directly on the ally rear bulkhead (car is Westfield)

The whole system works but the LP pump is very noisey, so I'm after any advice;

1) If I purchase a more expensive LP pump will it be quiter

2) I'm going to move the mounting off the aluminium bulkhead and add some rubber, is there anything else I can do to make it quieter?

Any other suggestions are gratefully received.

Thanks

Carl

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/9/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Mount it on rubber bobbin mounts would help
r1_pete

posted on 18/9/17 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
As Ian says rubber mount it, but also try and mount it on the chassis or close to a chassis mount, so as to reduce the soundboard effect of the panels.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 18/9/17 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
This is not something I know a lot about, but maybe I have a suggestion that others with more knowledge can comment on.

My setup is low pressure pump (Facet, solid-state) and carb, which spills back excess flow from the carb to the tank via a small orifice, but I have noticed that the pump is very noisy when turned on, then really quietens after a few seconds. It seems that it needs a few psi of back-pressure before it will quieten down.

In your case, the breather from the pot to the tank won't provide any noticeable back-pressure, so you could try a different type of pump or put a restriction in the breather line. The latter should quieten once the pot is fully liquid filled, but the pump flow should still push vapours out with no problem (just as with the carb supply).

You'd still get noise whenever there was vapour there, but probably not when settled at low revs - and who cares when high revs overpower the pump noise anyway!

You'd need to experiment a little with the orifice size, so as to get the highest flow, with just sufficient back pressure to stop the noise. You'd also need to investigate if your injectors are okay with a slight pressure on their return line.

40inches

posted on 18/9/17 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
This is not something I know a lot about, but maybe I have a suggestion that others with more knowledge can comment on.

My setup is low pressure pump (Facet, solid-state) and carb, which spills back excess flow from the carb to the tank via a small orifice, but I have noticed that the pump is very noisy when turned on, then really quietens after a few seconds. It seems that it needs a few psi of back-pressure before it will quieten down.

In your case, the breather from the pot to the tank won't provide any noticeable back-pressure, so you could try a different type of pump or put a restriction in the breather line. The latter should quieten once the pot is fully liquid filled, but the pump flow should still push vapours out with no problem (just as with the carb supply).

You'd still get noise whenever there was vapour there, but probably not when settled at low revs - and who cares when high revs overpower the pump noise anyway!

You'd need to experiment a little with the orifice size, so as to get the highest flow, with just sufficient back pressure to stop the noise. You'd also need to investigate if your injectors are okay with a slight pressure on their return line.

I had the same problem, but fuel injected, I fitted a 0.8mm MIG nozzle in the return from pot to tank, much quieter.
I can still hear the fuel returning to the tank, and I still rubber mounted the Facet lift pump.

pekwah1

posted on 18/9/17 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
There are a certain type of LP pumps you can get that are dramatically quieter, but be prepared to pay for it, and i'm not sure what they are.
I do remember reading something on here ages ago actually that people were putting restrictors or similar in the return line from the swirl pot to the tank which improves the situation a fair amount.

cliftyhanger

posted on 18/9/17 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
if it isn't a facet cube but a copy, it could have a very short life anyway (a mate bought one, lasted less than an hour! replacement has now done a few hundred miles, but I would be nervous)

You could try a facet posiflow, rather quieter by design and not expensive

mark chandler

posted on 18/9/17 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
If the HP one did not work well in the same place it would suggest you are pulling in air, this makes them very noisy !
carl M

posted on 19/9/17 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all your replies, plenty for me to try. I'll report back in a few days.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.