Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fog light - what am I missing?
JC

posted on 2/10/17 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Fog light - what am I missing?

Hi there,

Trying to wire in the rear foglight (item 104 on the diagram). I am using the Ford Fiesta Switch, and multi plug but made a few minor changes to the wiring - Og/Gn shown on the diagram isn't connected to the fuse as shown on the diagram, however I have 12v at it.

When I press the switch, the foglight illuminates momentarily then goes out. None of the lights in the switch light up.
I have tried 2 switches with no changes.

What am I not understanding - surely if I have 12v at both inputs all should be well??

Fog Light Wiring
Fog Light Wiring

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 2/10/17 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Switch is probably non latching - so that when installed in the fiesta, it self cancels when the lights or ignition is switched off.

Mistral Motorsport

ste

posted on 2/10/17 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
According to that drawing it is a latching switch.

can you test the switch and see what's happening when you push it?

loggyboy

posted on 2/10/17 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
What year fiesta? As mk5 went had a GEM system so switch might not be as the diagram you are using. Is switch definitely from the year/car you expect?

Mistral Motorsport

JC

posted on 2/10/17 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
It is/was a MkIV Fiesta, with a latching switch....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ste

posted on 3/10/17 at 04:55 AM Reply With Quote
so if you put your tester between og and og/ye does it latch or not?

any other inputs won't make any difference to the operation of that switch in the diagram.

also, just make sure you don't have a front fog switch as the colours are the same but go to different pins.

JC

posted on 3/10/17 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
It's definitely a rear light switch - I've tried 2 as I thought it might be faulty

When you say 'put your tester between og and og/ye' do you mean with the switch plugged in and powered, or removed from its socket?

When plugged in, when you press the switch the light comes momentarily, but the latch doesn't make. My understanding is that the switch is like a relay -the og/gn links to earth and powers the latch, the og provides power to the lights through og/ye - is this correct?

This is really doing my head in!!!

Thanks for the patience!

loggyboy

posted on 3/10/17 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
Havr you tried with a generic on off switch?

Mistral Motorsport

JC

posted on 3/10/17 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
OK, so I set up a test circuit and got the same results. However, I found that is I put power to the 'spare' pin on the plug, the LED to indicate the fog lights were on was made. Perhaps I have a rear switch but am connecting it to a front fog socket?

The pins are as follows:

PIN 8 X OG/GN. PIN 6 X Spare

PIN 4 X BK. PIN 2 X OG PIN 1 X OG/YE

ste

posted on 3/10/17 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
the diagram doesn't have the pin outs on it so you won't know.

the two white rectangles in the switch diagram are the switch illumination. one of them is to light up the switch when you turn on the lights and one the fog tell-tale.

front switch uses the same colours for the switched part

ignore everything other than the two wires that actually switch, so test og > og/ye as per the rear switch with no power applied and not connected to anything else

JC

posted on 3/10/17 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
When I press and hold the switch, the og and oy/ye make - the fog light illuminates but the tell tale in the switch doesn't.

However, the switch doesn't 'latch' in place to keep the light on

The bulb is 21W, so I make that a draw of around 1.75A - I don't think I need a relay for that - can I just wire in something like this?

Rear Fog Light Easy Push Button Switch Truck Van

matt_claydon

posted on 3/10/17 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have you connected the switch's ground connection? It would need that for both the illumination and latch to work if it's an electrical latch rather than mechanical.

[Edited on 3/10/17 by matt_claydon]

JC

posted on 3/10/17 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt,

I have connected pin 4 to earth. This makes the internal backlight in the switch work, but doesn't help the latching......

JC

posted on 5/10/17 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
OK, gave up on the Ford Switch and bought a Hi-amp rocker switch. I now have working fog lights that only come on with dip and main beam.

For sale Ford Fiesta Fog light switch
lol

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.