Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine assembly lube
bikecarbfred

posted on 3/10/17 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
engine assembly lube

When building a engine and lubricating the crank journals and cylinder walls to hand turn the crank to make sure piston to valve clearance is okay etc.

My question is. When the engine is fully built how long does it take for the lube to dry out. Can it be sat there for a couple of months?

CosKev3

posted on 3/10/17 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
The stuff I've used in the past says it dissolves in the oil, I don't think they will dry out
bikecarbfred

posted on 3/10/17 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
which lube do you use :p
luke2152

posted on 3/10/17 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Vasaline is good and dissolves quickly in the oil once you get it running.
madteg

posted on 3/10/17 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with good old oil and fill oil galleries though the pressure switch hole and down the oil feed on top of the block. cover cams with oil. On First turn over with plugs out till oil light goes out, job done
CosKev3

posted on 3/10/17 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bikecarbfred
which lube do you use :p

Joe gibbs performance assembly grease

mcerd1

posted on 4/10/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I used this stuff: (mostly just because it was easy to add it onto an order for engine bits...)
http://www.burtonpower.com/torco-mpz-engine-assembly-lube-4oz-mpzeas.html

the engine has now been sitting for far too long (quite a few years ) but the lube looks the same as it did on day 1

it does drip off a little bit where it was put on a bit thick - but still left a decent coating over all the important bits (I just throw a bit more over it every few months before turning it over to make sure its still free)

[Edited on 4/10/2017 by mcerd1]

-

nick205

posted on 4/10/17 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Whats wrong with good old oil and fill oil galleries though the pressure switch hole and down the oil feed on top of the block. cover cams with oil. On First turn over with plugs out till oil light goes out, job done

Rebuilding my Pinto I used clean engine oil all over the cam, crank etc. It probably stood 1 month before I fired it up with the odd hand turn while standing. Worked perfectly with no ill effects. If it were standing longer than that I'm not sure TBH.

Neville Jones

posted on 4/10/17 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
The old timer fitters that I worked within the heavy equipment used neat STP or Wynns.

I've seen a race v8 do 20 laps of 1/2mile track with no oil pressure, broken pump drive, and only the high STP content of the oil saved it. When stripped down the next day, there was no damage to bores or pistons or bearings. I've sworn by the stuff ever since.

Cheers,
Nev.

rusty nuts

posted on 5/10/17 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Graphogen , made for the job and doesn't drain away, now available in small sachets , my present tube has lasted for several engine rebuilds
David Jenkins

posted on 5/10/17 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I used graphogen - filthy stuff, but it does the job!

big_wasa

posted on 5/10/17 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
The old timer fitters that I worked within the heavy equipment used neat STP or Wynns.

I've seen a race v8 do 20 laps of 1/2mile track with no oil pressure, broken pump drive, and only the high STP content of the oil saved it. When stripped down the next day, there was no damage to bores or pistons or bearings. I've sworn by the stuff ever since.

Cheers,
Nev.

I was taught to use a 50/50 mix of wyns and cheap mineral oil as an assembly lube.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.