Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alignment advice
richardm6994

posted on 7/10/17 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Alignment advice

I think I know the answer to this, but Im going to put the question to the collective....

So on the lotus 23 build I’m doing, when the centreline of the gearbox drive shaft flanges is lined up with the centere line of the rear hubs, the gearbox is about 2or3 inches too long to fit under the rear fibreglass body tub.

So Im pondering on this question;
Can I push the gearbox forward a couple of inches? The driveshafts wouldnt line up with the hubs by about 2inch when viewed from above, but does this matter and would the cv joints take these additional angles on top of the suspension movement?

I could then modify the rear gear linkage to give myself another inch and it would then all fit under the rear fibreglass tub?

If I cant do this, then the only other thing is to cut and lengthen the tub by a couple of inches which isnt ideal, but doable.

Here are some photos and a rubbish sketch;

daviep

posted on 7/10/17 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
You need to measure what the shaft length from centre to centre of the joints so that you can calculate the shaft angle and compare this to the joints you are using.

I know this doesn't answer your question.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

gremlin1234

posted on 7/10/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure that the audi 80/90/coupe of the 80s had their drive shafts 'pointing forward'

ie inline engine and gearbox, front wheel drive

mark chandler

posted on 7/10/17 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine the CV joint on a front wheel drive car when turning, you can go a long way out of true or looking at the rear of the car with the body lifted, you will be fine the joints do not care about gravity, dropping down or going forwards makes no difference to them.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/10/17 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Imagine the CV joint on a front wheel drive car when turning, you can go a long way out of true or looking at the rear of the car with the body lifted, you will be fine the joints do not care about gravity, dropping down or going forwards makes no difference to them.

Second that....
What is relevant to CV Joints is total angle, if you don´t exceed this angle, you shoud be alright.
Some angle is desirable anyway to keep bearing races properly lubricated.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.