Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Slip ring modification for steering wheel mounted voltmeter
Bigboystoys

posted on 20/10/17 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Slip ring modification for steering wheel mounted voltmeter

Good morning all

Wondering if anyone has any experience of modifying a steering column slip ring for use on a kit car?
I have an idea of mounting a voltmeter in the middle of my momo steering wheel in my dax rush as the horn button is dashboard mounted and therefore the existing horn not used. I'm trying to work out how to get power to a voltmeter.
The launch control button on the steering wheel is already using the existing horn contacts through the boss so I know it can be done it's just how.
Can any of the later ford slip rings with steering wheel controls be made to fit a sierra column?

Many thanks

Sam

HowardB

posted on 20/10/17 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
What is the wiring for the launch button? If it is +12v to ground to launch, then the power is already present. If the voltmeter has sufficient impedance then it could sit across that wiring, pressing the launch button turns off the voltmeter (not an issue at that point!)

Question though,.. why a voltmeter in the steering wheel? I'd fit a shift light or an oil light,....

hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Bigboystoys

posted on 20/10/17 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for reply Howard,
I have just been out to the garage with my multimeter and sadly the switch only has 4.6v at it, I can only think maybe this goes straight into the rev limiter box for launch control.
I decided on a voltmeter as I don't have one fitted but do have the oil light and shift light.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks Sam

02GF74

posted on 26/10/17 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Why? A voltmeter isn't that useful, the alternator charge lamp is in theory sufficient. Whether an analogue or digital gauge is fitted, surely it will be a distraction true to read it when it is not in the vertical position?

If you really must have one then a set of coloured Leds will be better, eg green, yellow red.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.