Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 equipped MNR Vortx rebuild
Ciaran

posted on 12/11/17 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
R1 equipped MNR Vortx rebuild

Having owned 4 Impreza in a row I the last one being 572bhp I decided I needed something cheaper to run as a toy.

I started looking at different kit cars.
Took a good while to find something I liked.

Then the perfect car turned and I bought and had it shipped to me from NI. Early R1 4xv equipped MNR Vortx

I enjoyed a few runs over the summer but at one point it made a strange crunch after the car got a bit loose going over a damp patch and then regaining grip.
A quick look under the car and confirmed that several welds had failed around the point where the Sierra diff is mounted in a the chassis.

Unfortunately the more I look the poorer some of the welding on the car looks. So no real choice but to strip the car down and start grinding out welds and get them
re-done as well as repairing the actual fractures

Hopley89

posted on 12/11/17 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I think that’s was my main concern when i was buying a kit car, i didn’t want to buy one that’s already
been built by someone else due to not knowing what the build was like and budget when building it,
and then for me to go and spent a fortune putting it right!

i know the chassis welding wasn’t done by a man in a shed but that’s the hidden horrors you may find on
a used kit car,😞

Good luck with the welding and i look forward to seeing some pics

Shooter63

posted on 12/11/17 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I must admit when walking around the kit car show a lot of the chassis welding has been down right crap, under cuts everywhere walking off line the full 9 yards, the only make it saw with real quality was HAWK and a procomp LA GOLD, I've got a sylva and that's nothing to shout about.

Shooter

SJ

posted on 12/11/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I must admit when walking around the kit car show a lot of the chassis welding has been down right crap, under cuts everywhere walking off line the full 9 yards, the only make it saw with real quality was HAWK and a procomp LA GOLD, I've got a sylva and that's nothing to shout about.

Shooter

There's quite a difference between messy welding [like most of the stuff I do!] and welding so bad that stuff starts to fall off. I thought MNR had a good reputation for quality.

Ciaran

posted on 12/11/17 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

Shooter

There's quite a difference between messy welding [like most of the stuff I do!] and welding so bad that stuff starts to fall off. I thought MNR had a good reputation for quality.

They do but my car is number 36. Think they may still have been learning. Also possible my car has been repaired before I thing as welding on most of the chassis looks fine

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.