Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Haynes suspension - probably 2x stupid questions!!
jps

posted on 13/11/17 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Haynes suspension - probably 2x stupid questions!!

Sorry for the stupid questions, I feel sure I know the answers but am asking out of caution...

'The book' states the builder should use dampers that are 13" open / 9" closed, with a 25mm extension.

Question 1 - I assume this is the same as 14" open /10" closed?
Question 2 - Can I mock up the maximum extents of movement in the suspension using 2 lengths of box section, one with 10" between the holes for the bolts (for 'most compressed' ) and one with 14" between the holes (for 'least compressed' ) ?

[Edited on 13/11/17 by jps]

[Edited on 13/11/17 by jps]

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 13/11/17 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi JPS,

Good to hear from you!

Perhaps you missed this tread on the Haynes forum?
http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7246

To summarize and answer your questions:

Question1:
For a "book design" car (Sierra based), shocks should be 14'' open (or 13''+1'' extension), but still 9'' closed. But when it comes to Gaz Shocks, the 14'' open shocks come in 9.5'' closed only. That is what I have on my car. Body diam=2''.

Question2:
For your mock up, you can take a 14'' box section for the long ones, and either 9'' or 9.5'' for the short ones, according to what shock brand you are going to buy.

Springs should be 8'' long (2.5'' diam), different rates should be tried, even-though 350lb front and 250lb rear seems to be a good start (it worked for me that, is what I have on my car)

Hope the will help

big_wasa

posted on 13/11/17 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
The extension may be for the spring seat to clear the chassis ? It was very close on a Locost.

[Edited on 13/11/17 by big_wasa]

ianhurley20

posted on 13/11/17 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Similar to Sylvain - I have Gaz 14" x 9.5" shocks with 350lb front springs and at the moment 250lb rears but am changing the rears to 300lb this winter as I am often travelling two up with probably 30 stone of passengers on board, I am not sure if this will be my final set of springs but if I was solo then the 250lb ones would be the ones I would go for.

jps

posted on 14/11/17 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voucht
Hi JPS,

Good to hear from you!

Perhaps you missed this tread on the Haynes forum?
http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7246

To summarize and answer your questions:

Question1:
For a "book design" car (Sierra based), shocks should be 14'' open (or 13''+1'' extension), but still 9'' closed. But when it comes to Gaz Shocks, the 14'' open shocks come in 9.5'' closed only. That is what I have on my car. Body diam=2''.

Question2:
For your mock up, you can take a 14'' box section for the long ones, and either 9'' or 9.5'' for the short ones, according to what shock brand you are going to buy.

Springs should be 8'' long (2.5'' diam), different rates should be tried, even-though 350lb front and 250lb rear seems to be a good start (it worked for me that, is what I have on my car)

Hope the will help

Cheers Sylvain - yes, still very slowly plugging away at my build!!! Thanks for the pointer to the Haynes forum, your summary is helpful! I am just mocking up the max/min movements of the front suspension so I can cut the right holes in my side panels... (yes - still on that job...!)

craigdiver

posted on 14/11/17 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I am using the following after much research (and recommendations from other users and forums);

From rallydesign;
4 x Gaz 14" Open, 9.5" Closed Length Coilover Shock (140/095/B12-2)
2 x 2 1/4", 400 Rate, 8" Free Length (RD1195/8)
2 x 2 1/4", 250 Rate, 9" Free Length (RD1189/9)
1 x C Spanner - Coil Over Spring Seat Adjuster (2 1/4" (RD207)

Please note I have a straight 6 BMW lump under the bonnet hence the 400lb springs up front. Car not road tested yet so springs may be changed.

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

procomp

posted on 14/11/17 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

Just for conformation, what i supply for book roadster chassis is 14" open 9 1/2" closed.
The reason for the 13" + 1" was an attempt by author and designer to only allow one make off damper to be supplied / used. This can be ignored and just use 14" open units.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 14/11/17 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.

Just for conformation, what i supply for book roadster chassis is 14" open 9 1/2" closed.
The reason for the 13" + 1" was an attempt by author and designer to only allow one make off damper to be supplied / used. This can be ignored and just use 14" open units.

Cheers Matt

Thanks for that Matt - it explains a lot

jps

posted on 15/11/17 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.

Cheers Matt

Thanks for that Matt - it explains a lot

Yes- thanks for that, it is useful to understand the why behind stuff!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.