<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aggressive road users
J666AYP

posted on 27/11/17 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Aggressive road users

Hi gents,

Abit of a random one...

I Test drove a road legal quadzilla buggy today (Not my cup of tea). In the space of about 5 miles I had fast food wrappers thrown at me from the car infront, deliberate very close overtakes, tailgating and general A-hole behaviour from other road users. I was not speeding or doing anything wrong so this makes me think that something else is going on.

Have any of you had similar problems with kit cars on the road?

I'm thick skinned so I dont mind abit of green eyed envy, but I dont fancy catching a coke can in the face at road speed.

Jay

coyoteboy

posted on 27/11/17 at 11:43 PM Reply With Quote
Had a few glass bottles lobbed at me while cycling, one of which exploded on my top tube.

Literally every 2nd time I overtake someone on the roads around here they go mental and flash me like I'm a loon (I'm not).

People are idiots generally.

[Edited on 27/11/17 by coyoteboy]

obfripper

posted on 28/11/17 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
While driving through ebbw vale at about 2am some random pissed up bloke decided to grab onto my rollbar as i passed by - he held on for 1/4 second then slipped over and bounced off the kerb. I watched him get up in the mirrors but didn't think going back to check was the best of moves going by first impressions.

Dave

posted on 28/11/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

Literally every 2nd time I overtake someone on the roads around here they go mental and flash me like I'm a loon (I'm not).

[Edited on 27/11/17 by coyoteboy]

Don't forget that one in four people that drive can't pass the number plate test.

What you might see as 500m of clear road they see 50m and after that its a blur.

Paul G

JAG

posted on 28/11/17 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

People are idiots generally

This - I think this all the time!

Plus most people have given up on overtaking - has anyone else noticed that?

So when 'we' do it they get angry and wave their fists etc.... it seem to have become anti-social to overtake anyone these days.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 28/11/17 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
I suffer a lot from 'punishment' attacks.
Unfortunately, I proceed at the speed limit (often not the towing/3.5T/ice/rain/night/class limit, but the car limit). This means that I see a lot of dangerous driving, with the wrong side of traffic islands being a favourite passing point. No, I'm not obstructing the road, there's usually a long, long line of vehicles I'm following.

'Punishment' here means the overtake, followed by a brake test. OK, so I anticipate this always, slow to a crawl as the idiot passes, avoiding an 'accident'. The idiot then accelerates away to tailgate the next vehicle.

The roads are no fun, there's no pleasure in driving (for me anyway). However, it's a necessary evil (and risk) to get the car to the circuit. The attitude of some road users (in their car, and I guess their life approach in general) is simply murderous. I wish it was treated as such.

nick205

posted on 28/11/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
There are some "interesting" road users out there. I see bad driving/road manners pretty much every day. Often people so desperate to overtake they do so dangerously then spend the rest of the journey in front of you having not really got anywhere quicker. Often those that are driving within the road rules and traffic conditions that see or receive the abuse from these people. I simply take pleasure in being in the right and try to make sure they can't do me any harm.
russbost

posted on 28/11/17 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I would agree that most road users are idiots & always try to take this into account with my driving, I think the biggest problem, particularly at this end of the country (S.E.) is far too many cars in far too small a space, hence, congestion, frustration & idiotic manoeuvres to save about 1/2 a second off a journeytime!

However, when I'm out in the Furore, I am frequently treated to the most gentlemanly behaviour, people stop to let me out of junctions or to cross when turning right across traffic, on dual carriageways & motorways most of the time I only have to show myself in their mirrors (just supposing they've remembered where they are & are looking in them!) & most people move out of the way, I think they then expect me to go past flat out whereas I normally go by at or around the speed limit - must come as a disappointment!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
hughpinder

posted on 28/11/17 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
I drive in to work every day down a stretch road that is actually 'the most dangerous road in Europe" - by number of deaths in the last 10 years. I see large numbers of people overtake by pulling out and very slowly passing -- usually meaning the manoeuvre takes them round the next blind bend/ over the hill into the dip that can hide a car etc. At least twice a year I have to avoid cars on the wrong side of the road who are obviously trying to overtake an artic at 50mph while in 6th. A couple of years back I was just at the point where I had moved so my left hand wheels were as far off the tarmac as I could safely go, decided that driving off the road into the 8ft drop to the field was better than the alternative head on collision, when the other guy decided he wasn't gong to make it, hit the brakes and into the back wheels of the artics trailer. He didn't stop, despite the left hand side of his car being torn off, and his bonnet flying past the screen of my car at about 2 ft away! I still can't believe that we didn't collide.
David Jenkins

posted on 28/11/17 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I would agree that most road users are idiots & always try to take this into account with my driving, I think the biggest problem, particularly at this end of the country (S.E.) is far too many cars in far too small a space, hence, congestion, frustration & idiotic manoeuvres to save about 1/2 a second off a journeytime!

I think there's definitely a macho aspect of driving in Essex - I live just over the border in Suffolk, and every time I go south I notice a big increase in aggressive driving. Obviously this doesn't go for the vast majority of Essex drivers, but there seems to be a larger-than-normal proportion of pushy and almost violent drivers in that county. It's even worse than London where the driving can be direct and sometimes scary, but I've not witnessed the same level of aggression (and I've driven cars and ridden motorbikes a lot in London over the years). However, I haven't driven in *every* area of London, so I can't claim totally reliable knowledge there...

The main problem in Suffolk is dozy drivers, who think that 30mph on a clear, straight 60mph road is perfectly OK - and who wonder why they're at the head of a queue of cars... but that's a totally different issue!

CosKev3

posted on 28/11/17 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of abuse towards kit cars etc is jealousy tbh.

I've had water squirted out of the window of a pikeys transit going in the opposite direction,and also the Pissed up idiot running out and holding onto the rollbar passing through a town
I really did wish his foot/leg undr my rear wheel but unfortunately it didn't happen!

Sam_68

posted on 28/11/17 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
However, when I'm out in the Furore, I am frequently treated to the most gentlemanly behaviour...

I have to say that this is my general experience fo driving kit cars, too. I occasionally get people trying to provoke a race, but even that is 'friendly', rather than abusive.

I can't remember ever having experienced any dangerous abuse or aggression of the sort that some posters are reporting.

russbost

posted on 28/11/17 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
When they try to race, that is just plain funny! Was coming back from Brands in the Furore after BTCC one time travelling in convoy with a friend in an R1 engined MNR, we'd just had a bit of fun thro' the dartford tunnel! & pulled up at the lights ready to join the A13 one behind the other, a Toyota Starlet pulled up next to us, it was a typical "furry dice & large exhaust" car as you'd expect from a Saxo or similar, he sat there revving the engine & looking across at us, when the lights turned amber he took off with loads of revs & wheelspin, we waited for the green then set off nose to tail (no wheelspin or drama!) & had both gone past him b4 we cleared the other side of the lights - I just wish I could have seen his face!

People simply don't realise the performance available to many kitcars!

[Edited on 28/11/17 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Mr Whippy

posted on 28/11/17 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
odd as I've owned a few kit cars and always only had nice comments, waves, thumbs up, shouts "NICE CAR!" etc the most scary aspect being people not actually looking where their going cos their too interested in your car

I'm surprised no one offered you a jacket testing a buggy like that in this weather that aside your really need a windscreen on any road car or wear a full face helmet with a visor, stones fly up all the time

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/17 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Don't forget that one in four people that drive can't pass the number plate test.

What you might see as 500m of clear road they see 50m and after that its a blur.

Paul G

Yeah, there is that. But then they should not complain because they're the one causing the issue! I'm getting tired of being full-beamed and dazzled from behind by dozy-daisy toddling at 30mph down a dry, straight, open NSL.

posted on 28/11/17 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
The thing is that everyone thinks they're a good driver. To them whatever they do is good, and everyone else is wrong.

Lets take Mr 45. He drives at his speed wether in a 60 or a 30, even past a school at 3.30pm.
No need to rush like these mad overtakers. I get there just as quick.

Then there's Mr Left. He thinks he drives slowly and carefully around roundabouts so he uses the left lane, even when turning right.

There's Mr Quick. A gifted talented driver who narrowly missed an F1 seat. He an expert at using the full width of the road, even on blind bends.
He curses anyone that dares to be on the same road as him, even if they are faster.

What about Mr C, no not that C, this is Mr Cataract. He's perfectly ok to drive because the NHS won't operate till he starts walking into doors.

I bet you lot know loads more. Feel free to add.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/11/17 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Not forgetting Mr 4x4 - He drives his big "sports" 4x4 around country lanes as though it's an MX5, lurching around corners and crossing the while line because he doesn't really know where the nearside of the car is...

CosKev3

posted on 28/11/17 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
The thing is that everyone thinks they're a good driver. To them whatever they do is good, and everyone else is wrong.

Lets take Mr 45. He drives at his speed wether in a 60 or a 30, even past a school at 3.30pm.

Then there's Mr Left. He thinks he drives slowly and carefully around roundabouts so he uses the left lane, even when turning right.

There's Mr Quick. A gifted talented driver who narrowly missed an F1 seat. He an expert at using the full width of the road, even on blind bends.
He curses anyone that dares to be on the same road as him, even if they are faster.

What about Mr C, no not that C, this is Mr Cataract. He's perfectly ok to drive because the NHS won't operate till he starts walking into doors.

Mr 45 really does wee me off

Had it a few times this year, pass them in a NSL for them to then flash there lights at you,then you slow down for a 30mph and they are sat on your arse.

It's usually a driver in the over 60''s age range too

coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Not forgetting Mr 4x4 - He drives his big "sports" 4x4 around country lanes as though it's an MX5, lurching around corners and crossing the while line because he doesn't really know where the nearside of the car is...

To be fair, I drive a big 4x4 round the roads like it's an MX5, but I do try to stay to the right side of the road and only as fast as I can stop

coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

This is true, I'm sure we're all guilty of it. Takes the bigger person to stop and assess their own driving in a critical light.

SteveWallace

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

There is also Mr speed limit minus 10. Not really sure why they do it, maybe the're related to Mr getting KPH mixed up with MPH.

When out in the kit, the good comments and looks seem to massively out weigh the negative/aggressive ones. Even quite yobbish looking kids in dodgy areas seem ok. I tend to stick closer to the speed limit in the Viento than in my normal car in built up areas and this does provoke the occasional tail gating. That's normally cured by not lifting when going around the next tight corner and watching what happens when they try to do the same.

I have noticed that indicating now seems to be regarded as an optional extra. I've lost count of the number of times idiots cause confusion and near misses by not indicating on roundabouts any more.

"I know every nut and bolt and cog in that car, I built it myself" - The Prisoner, 1967

02GF74

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

I remember the days I was overtaking on the A40 in my MGB, now I have a car with 3x the brake horses and am unable to overtake - simply due to there being so much more traffic. This country may be borderline recession but that don't stop people buying and driving cars.

02GF74

posted on 28/11/17 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Mr. Sit in the outer lane regardless.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/11/17 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

So when 'we' do it they get angry and wave their fists etc.... it seem to have become anti-social to overtake anyone these days.

I remember driving home from Sudbury some time ago: came around an open sweeping bend at 60mph (the speed limit) and saw a campervan doing about 40 in front of me. I was in a perfect position to drive straight past without hesitation (dry road, perfect view, no oncoming traffic, broken lines in the middle) so I just zoomed through. After I'd passed I saw the other driver swerve a bit, flash his lights and blast his horn... I think I'd woken him up from his snooze...

coyoteboy

posted on 28/11/17 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by JAG

I remember the days I was overtaking on the A40 in my MGB, now I have a car with 3x the brake horses and am unable to overtake - simply due to there being so much more traffic. This country may be borderline recession but that don't stop people buying and driving cars.

Yeah it's definitely more tricky down south. Round here it's still a piece of cake, but does seem to take people by surprise for some reason. "I'm doing 30 so everyone else who wants to go faster must be being dangerous".

A year or two back I was flashed so aggressively by a woman that I overtook that I assumed my car had something wrong with it. I stopped to figure out what it was and she pulled up behind (didn't want to overtake me, clearly!) - I looked at the back of my car and couldn't see a problem so I wandered back to ask what she'd flashed at (genuinely baffled) and she literally nearly ran me over trying to get away. Clearly outraged at me but then realised it might not be a good idea to rant at people who might want to understand why.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.