Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aggressive road users
morcus

posted on 28/11/17 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
The 45 everywhere used to be the worst offenders for me when I lived in Kent as I usually was on roads with all the limits from 30 to 70 on one road. Since I left though theres something else thats worse that seems common in Barrow and in Bristol but I never saw anywhere else i lived, driving right on the white line on the side of the road with no parked cars while there are parked cars on the otherside of the road.

I think a big reason why overtaking is more uncommon now is along with more traffic, visibility past another car is terrible these days. Cars are taller, wider, have smaller windows and often the windows are blacked out or shapes that mean you can't see through a car infront.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/11/17 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Not forgetting Mr 4x4 - He drives his big "sports" 4x4 around country lanes as though it's an MX5, lurching around corners and crossing the while line because he doesn't really know where the nearside of the car is...

having seen just such a thing with a near miss and a range rover, I can't say all true 4x4's fit in that category, I can get all of 65 mph out mine and that is flat out. Apparently "Landrover" Landrovers have the best safety statistics of any car when looking at fatalities probably as we are just going too slow for bad things to happen...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 28/11/17 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
I did say "sports" 4x4! Things like the Range Rover Sport, which is built like a tank and has road-going wheels - useless on any patch of mud. They're just substitutes for small willies...

I should add that my brother has a Range Rover as he lives way up north in Scotlandshire, but his has all-weather tyres to cope with winter snow. My nephew is a gamekeeper near Aberdeen, and his car is a real Land Rover that gets used to climb up the sides of Scottish mountains on ridiculously rough tracks (I've been with him once, and nearly got knocked out when my head hit the inside of the car - at about 4mph!). In other words, genuine 4x4s, used properly.

nick205

posted on 29/11/17 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
The 4x4 comments ring a bell with me!

At my kids school there's ladies (sorry if that's a sexist comment) driving big £££ Range Rovers. They drive poorly and park even worse! In reality they never go anywhere near any mud and a Fiesta (or similar) would do exactly what they require.

rf900rush

posted on 29/11/17 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
What about my friend Mr green. Toyota Prius

Around my area nearly every minicaby has one. I think most have had their batteries replaced with eveready's.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
WallerZero

posted on 29/11/17 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Some days I get the urge to fit blue LEDs behind my grille and in the windows and give some people the fright of their life. I'm not sure on the legality of my "show lights malfunctioning" vs impersonating a police officer

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

AdrianH

posted on 29/11/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hey! I resemble these comments, not sure which one, but I'm sure I can fit into one at some time or other.

When in the kit, I would say for the most part I get good vibes from others, I have had the odd racer, pushing me, even some that were much better on accel and top end speed, so I tend to let them go by me now. I know my reactions are not as sharp as 20 years ago and I like to get home in one piece.

It's the journey, not the fastest, in my head.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

posted on 30/11/17 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWallace
quote:
Originally posted by 907
The thing is that everyone thinks they're a good driver. To them whatever they do is good, and everyone else is wrong.

Lets take Mr 45. He drives at his speed wether in a 60 or a 30, even past a school at 3.30pm.
No need to rush like these mad overtakers. I get there just as quick.

I bet you lot know loads more. Feel free to add.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is also Mr speed limit minus 10. Not really sure why they do it, maybe the're related to Mr getting KPH mixed up with MPH.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When out in the kit, the good comments and looks seem to massively out weigh the negative/aggressive ones. Even quite yobbish looking kids in dodgy areas seem ok. I tend to stick closer to the speed limit in the Viento than in my normal car in built up areas and this does provoke the occasional tail gating. That's normally cured by not lifting when going around the next tight corner and watching what happens when they try to do the same.

I have noticed that indicating now seems to be regarded as an optional extra. I've lost count of the number of times idiots cause confusion and near misses by not indicating on roundabouts any more.

Ah! Mr speed limit minus 10. I know him. He's the one who has reasonable eyesight at long distance but cannot see his dash.
I only found this out when we were talking about his "beer money" part time job. Picks up the bride in an old classic car, mostly
border line condition due to the lack of MOT.

Anyway, he was saying how difficult it is to find the brides house, or the church/RO, so I offered the use of my TomTom.
Even offered to make up a lead that he could clip on the battery.
After much heated discussion he finally admitted he wouldn't be able to see it, hence the speedo subject came up.
He said he guesses his speed, but tends to guess under for safeties sake.

No good telling the owner of these cars. He's Mr drive down the dotted line.
I asked him once what his prices were like. He said, "Middle of the road."

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/17 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
On one occasion I drove through a local village (big village, more like a small town) and went past a small car with 5 teenagers in it. They pointed and laughed at my odd little car - but they were jammed into a smoky old Corsa with go-faster bits on it...

There have been a couple of occasions where I've come up behind a slowish car, set up to overtake and they've accelerated. After that they drove like absolute tossers, liable to end up in a ditch; one had his wife/girlfriend in the passenger seat, the other had the whole family. After watching their driving for a couple of minutes I chose a different route at the next junction. I wouldn't have wanted either sets of passengers to have been involved in a crash because their driver was an idiot, and there is always the risk of being accused of road racing by the police. The best bit was watching the woman in the second car berating her other half - hopefully because of his awful driving!

One the other hand, I have been waved at to overtake on quite a few occasions - there are still some nice people around.

As for indicating... don't get me started!

David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/17 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
And I've just been out shopping, and remembered the other two...

Mr "they've only just gone red" - at some junctions in Ipswich I count to 2 or 3 after my lights go green, because there's near certainty that someone will go through their red light. Today it was an HGV oil tanker who did it, and nearly got another lorry in his side.

Mr "my indicator's going so I can drive off the slip-road at 40mph into 70mph traffic" - very common one this. I've even seen it done in front of an HGV doing its max speed, no way of swerving as the outside lane was full, emergency braking, followed by the longest blast on the air horns I've heard for years! I reckon that all the car driver could see in his rear-view mirror was radiator...

Oh dear - I sound like a miserable old git with all this moaning - but in reality these days I just drive defensively and keep a laid-back attitude, with the constant expectation that some pillock will do exactly the wrong thing while I'm driving along. It's the only way to keep sane and to survive.

nick205

posted on 30/11/17 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
^^^

David - indicating!

My brother in law recently bought a 2nd hand BMW. He got really quite upset when he showed me as I asked him if it had come with indicators

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/11/17 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote

Picks up the bride in an old classic car, mostly
border line condition due to the lack of MOT.

He'll not even have to worry about the lack of MoT soon (and yes, I have and drive a 1967 historic LR, but no, I don't support what's planned for May. In fact, I find it quite alarming).

Robbaa

posted on 30/11/17 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
i wont get started with driving in london then...
David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/17 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robbaa
i wont get started with driving in london then...

You ought to try Sydney NSW - same sort of driving as London, with added scary and rubbish drivers!

02GF74

posted on 30/11/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

One the other hand, I have been waved at to overtake on quite a few occasions - there are still some nice people around.

!

Was this the wave where finger and thumb touch?

David Jenkins

posted on 30/11/17 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:

!

Was this the wave where finger and thumb touch?

I've had the OK sign, but never the Gareth Hunt shuffle!

hkp57

posted on 1/12/17 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Cant say I get much negativity in the kit car around the Central belt and Scottish borders roads, i do like it on an open straight ish country road with some German barge behind tailgating then you reach the twisty bits.

Half way into a corner they bottle it and hit the brakes as I just sit at a constant 60 never lifting or braking. I actually saw one guy crash into a hedge behind me panic braking.

Fleet
SKC Raptor R - Hayabusa
Toyota C-HR Hybrid Limited Edition
Honda VFR1200 CrossTourer
DCT
Marlin Roadster 1800
Mercedes Vito 116 Sport

J666AYP

posted on 1/12/17 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
Well im glad its not just me being paranoid. Never have a problem when im out in the family car, then as soon as I jump into something abit different I attract all the pond life.

Jay

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.