Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which big brakes for GBS zero
AndyGaskell

posted on 28/11/17 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Which big brakes for GBS zero

Hi All,

I currently have standard ford sierra 240mm front disks and calipers up front in my GBS zero and i want to upgrade them to Willwood or HiSpec

My car is running 15" alloys with around 180hp now with a view to go to around 200-240 over the winter with an engine swap and i want to take this down time to address the front brakes.

There are many kits of various sizes i can see on the internet and it has me wondering which will be the most efficient, im also wondering if someone can help out with the ease of getting replacement discs for in the future. Im worried that if i go for some kits with odd size discs that if they discontinue the range i will be stuck. I see one of the HiSpec kits on burton power use 260mm 24mm vented discs and im wondering if that would mean i could use over the counter oem/aftermarket sierra discs from any motor factors if i needed to get replacements rather than having to buy direct from HiSpec.

I did contact burton power asking about how future proof the rangers where and if any of the setups shared standard sized discs that are manufactured by a number of companies instead of just the caliper makers but they could not or would not answer the question.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Dick

posted on 28/11/17 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the conversion use a standard disk and pads from a normal production car it just a case of working out what car
mcerd1

posted on 28/11/17 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
standard questions first:

whats wrong with the brakes you've got now ?
do you feel you want more power, less weight, better bite/feel or just better looking brakes ?

followed by: which brake pads and master cylinder(s) are you using just now ?
(as these will have a massive impact on the bite and feel of the brakes)

if you want easily available spare then you'd best stick to OE spec stuff

not that the 260mm discs should be an issue - even if the kits don't use the stock disc all it sould take is the radial mount calipers and a custom mounting bracket to make the OE 260mm discs work instead

the bigger sierra caliper that matches the 260mm discs are a cheap but heavy option (bigger disc and a 60mm piston instead of 54mm)

Dax used to offer an upgrade that took your current 240mm calipers and relocated them over cossie 4x4 discs (278x24mm) - I think someone on here was talking about changing a set of these for 4 pots (a very cost effective upgrade)

[Edited on 28/11/2017 by mcerd1]

-

WallerZero

posted on 29/11/17 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Stick with the standard OE stuff. Remember, these were designed to stop a car twice the weight of your application now, if not 3 times fully laden.

Other aspect to consider, if you upgrade the brakes, you may find yourself worse off as you can't get the brake temps up. I've just switched to OE 1.8 MX5 discs on my Zero (slightly bigger than the 1.6) and they are far too easy to lock up.

If you can lock up easily then you need to look at the tyres you're using too.

http://zachsgbszero.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.