Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto rear crank seal and sump gasket
matty h

posted on 9/12/17 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto rear crank seal and sump gasket

Looking at replacing the rear crank seal and sump gasket on a 2.0 pinto engine what are the best make seals and gaskets to use only want to do it once. I have seen the Burton power upgrade sump gasket is this a good option.
Matty

rusty nuts

posted on 9/12/17 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the Burtons competition sump gasket on a Xflow, so much better than any other gasket set as its not cork . I reused the sump gasket when I rebuilt the engine several years ago with no leaks. As for the rear main oil seal any quality seal should work as low my as care if s taken when fitting.
snapper

posted on 9/12/17 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
It’s so much more about how you fit them not what you fit.
Recently done a Pinto rebuild and fitting the rear crank seal means taking the rear crank bearing cap off, applying some sealant to the mating faces and torquing down, then more sealant before the wedges that come with a sump gasket set are fitted.
I then seal the plastic half moons to the tracks over the front and rear bearing caps followed by a smear of sealant on the block sump gasket face, place the sump gasket on and use the sump to hold it all down while it sets, then the next day remove the sump, smear a thin layer of sealant on that and replace sump.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

matty h

posted on 9/12/17 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advise guys.
perksy

posted on 10/12/17 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the 'Heavy duty' Burtons sump gasket set, Their oil seals are also very good

With the rear crank seal, If the engine is in bits then remove the rear bearing cap as above, If not take your time and get everything clean before fitting the new one
(you *might* find that there's old sealant everywhere though )

[Edited on 10/12/17 by perksy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.