Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec RWD Spigot Bearing
Barksavon

posted on 17/1/18 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec RWD Spigot Bearing

The ST170 engine I have already had a spigot bearing in the end of the crankshaft. I bought a new one as I assumed the output shaft of my type 9 gearbox wouldnt fit into the existing bearing. I've taken the old bearing out today and.....it slides snugly over the type 9 gearbox shaft. Comparing the old and new bearings they look identical, is there any difference. My engine had the fwd gearbox attached to it when I bought it
Thanks
Ian

big_wasa

posted on 17/1/18 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
No it’s the same bearing and for some reason it’s a factory fit. I don’t know why as the first motion shaft doesn’t locate in it.

Out of interest, how did you get the old one out ? It’s worth changing as mine is full of clutch fibres / bits.

[Edited on 17/1/18 by big_wasa]

mcerd1

posted on 17/1/18 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Out of interest, how did you get the old one out ?

Assuming its the same as the older ones...
Normally you find a punch or drift that's a good fit inside the bearing (I.e. The same size as the shaft it's meant to fit)

Then pack the whole thing completely full of grease, then hammer the punch into the middle - the hydraulic pressure then pops it out

[Edited on 17/1/2018 by mcerd1]

-

Barksavon

posted on 17/1/18 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used a slice of bread..... No honestly I did.
I Googled Spigot Bearing Removal last night and it brought back some you tube videos of bearings being removed by packing the hole in the end of the crankshaft with moist bread (or grease) and then knocking a bolt same o/d as the bearing bore into the hole. Basically the bread had no where to go and it forces the bearing out. Thought I'd have a go and it actually worked. I had to turn a piece of nylon rod down to a very close fit as the bread tends to ooze out around the bolt if is too loose a fit and you'll need to keep filling the hole with bread but it does work

[Edited on 17/1/18 by Barksavon]

Barksavon

posted on 17/1/18 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
When you say the first motion
shaft doesn't locate in the bearing are you referring to the fwd version cos it looks like the output shaft of the type9 on the rwd conversion will.....

big_wasa

posted on 17/1/18 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the st170 box doesn’t use the bearing so why did they fit it ?
Barksavon

posted on 17/1/18 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that, I was a bit unsure whether I'd bought the wrong bearing .... I'll fit the new one tomorrow.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.