Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch master cylinder
CTLeeds

posted on 24/1/18 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Clutch master cylinder

Hi guys, I'm getting close to finishing my Dax Rush with BMW running gear and have a question about the clutch. The car is currently on stands and with the engine idling I can get it into 1st, 2nd and 3rd but not 4th or 5th. In any circumstance with the clutch pedal depressed the prop is still spinning which I don't think is right. Am I right in thinking I might need a bigger master cylinder to the slave has more travel to disengage the clutch completely? Someone elsewhere told me that getting a larger bore master cylinder doesn't necessarily translate to more slave cylinder travel which I don't understand!

The current master cylinder is a 0.625 bore and the system is completely bled of air.

Any advice appreciated.

Chris

Bigboystoys

posted on 24/1/18 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch master cylinder size will make a difference to slave piston travel distance however if it's engaging 1st 2nd and 3rd why not 4th and 5th
Is the prop being driven or just a very light resistance as that's pretty normal when jacked up?

[Edited on 24/1/18 by Bigboystoys]

Nickp

posted on 24/1/18 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used a 19mm (0.75" )master cylinder with my OBP pedal box and have had no clutch issues with my BMW install. Seems strange you can only get 3 of the gears, the clutch should either clear or not.

[Edited on 24/1/18 by Nickp]

rusty nuts

posted on 25/1/18 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Can you get into reverse gear without it grating? Try it with the brakes applied, if it goes into reverse OK then the clutch is clearing. Reverse gear doesn't normally have any syncho
Dingz

posted on 25/1/18 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Is the gear lever hitting something?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

CTLeeds

posted on 28/1/18 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your replies. I gained a bit more thrust by adjusting the master cylinder piston position into the clevis. This seems to have done the trick. Putting the car on the ground has enabled all gears including reverse to be selected without any crunching.

All good, thanks again.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.