Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA preperation pictures...
furryeggs

posted on 13/2/18 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
IVA preperation pictures...

My IVA paperworks now gone off and hopefully with the right people. I've tried calling but the women said she couldn't check the system because it was monday? so I'll have to try again at the end of the week. Great start...

There will be a lot of pictures over the next week or two so please feel free to comment.

Rear light's fitted and clipped in place...
[img][/img]

I do need to bond the bases onto the wings, at the minute they are just stuck with pads...
[img][/img]

Indicator extensions, these bring them out to pretty much bang on 40cm from the widest part. (the rear arches)
[img][/img]

Edge trim around the filter cut out and bonnet catches... the catches were supplied by tiger and I was told they pass without covers???
[img][/img]

More edging around the bonnet cut out and airo-screen...
[img][/img]

Trim on the rear lights...
[img][/img]

Hopefully my spacings and hights are ok, they should be as I'm well over the minimum required hieghts...
[img][/img]

Tow strap fitted with a 12.9 bolts, I've held it up out of the way with a cable tie, is this ok?..
[img][/img]

Seat edging and harnesses...
[img][/img]

Seat belt mounts and caps...
[img][/img]

Handbrake adjustment...
[img][/img]

Tunnel wiring, the main loom is clipped in place with a loom tape wrapped wire for my fuel pump switch cable tied to it. Is this going to need further wrapping?...
[img][/img]

My ignition barrel is exposed, what can i cover this with? I was thinking maybe a rubber cap or something...
[img][/img]

Engine bay...
[img][/img]

Fuel line...
[img][/img]

Fuel pipe markings...
[img][/img]

Battery and cabling...
[img][/img]

All advise is appreciated.

Andybarbet

posted on 13/2/18 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Looks really tidy, gives me something to aim for on my build - good luck with the IVA

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

CosKev3

posted on 13/2/18 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Looks tidy

I think I would leave the tow strap off for IVA,as it's not required.

Is your rear fog light vertical?

Also I'm not sure on the bonnet catches,what are the radius on them?

[Edited on 13/2/18 by CosKev3]

craigdiver

posted on 13/2/18 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Car looks fantastic, can’t advise on much but I have been advised by my glassfibre guy that the nylon cable tie bases can be stuck on very securely with a hot glue gun. Also, i’m looking for exactly the things with two allen grub screws for locking the handbrake cables that you have, where did you get them?

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

furryeggs

posted on 13/2/18 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
Car looks fantastic, can’t advise on much but I have been advised by my glassfibre guy that the nylon cable tie bases can be stuck on very securely with a hot glue gun. Also, i’m looking for exactly the things with two allen grub screws for locking the handbrake cables that you have, where did you get them?

I think I have 2spare in my box, I’ll check tomorrow.

furryeggs

posted on 13/2/18 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Looks tidy

I think I would leave the tow strap off for IVA,as it's not required.

Is your rear fog light vertical?

Also I'm not sure on the bonnet catches,what are the radius on them?

[Edited on 13/2/18 by CosKev3]

- I’ll remove the strap...
- Think I might put some foam/rubber under the top edge of the fog to bring it closer to verticle, It’s not far off at the minute.
- The catches are radiused along the main body, but bits of the definitely aren’t rounded. I’m going to try and find a cover for them.

CTLeeds

posted on 13/2/18 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I'm at pretty much the same stage as you. Yours looks very smart.

I think I'd use some proper pipe clips rather than cable ties on the fuel pipe. The pipes could be seen as rubbing together?

As long as your ignition terminals are properly insulated then there shouldn't be a problem(don't quote me on that though). I'd suggest unsoldering the wires, put a couple of layers of heat shrink up each of the cables, resolder, put heatshrink in place etc.

Where are your side repeaters located?

Chris

kingster996

posted on 13/2/18 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good.

Check that the harnesses are horizontal between where they bolt in and the seat slots. They can’t be lower at the bolts so as to pull down on seats under tension.

Otherwise, as said, forget the tow strap, just in case.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

loggyboy

posted on 13/2/18 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Looks very neat.
Mirror above coments on:
-fog (get it bang on square, not just close)
-seatbelts, ensure they aren't pulling on edges of seat.
-bonnet catches. Dont rely on suppliers, be happy/safe that they are right.

Any pictures of front end?

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 14/2/18 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Looks good.

Check that the harnesses are horizontal between where they bolt in and the seat slots. They can’t be lower at the bolts so as to pull down on seats under tension.

Oh yeah the harnesses are definitely a failure.

Looks like you will need some longer bolts and spacers to lift them ,if this is allowed?
Or the seats need to be lowered.

And as above,the fog HAS to be vertical

furryeggs

posted on 14/2/18 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
Looks good.

Oh yeah the harnesses are definitely a failure.

Looks like you will need some longer bolts and spacers to lift them ,if this is allowed?
Or the seats need to be lowered.

And as above,the fog HAS to be vertical

Can’t drop the seats any lower as they are all ready bolted directly to the floor rails. I’ll make some spacers at work.

CTLeeds

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
With regards to the rear fog light, the manual states...

"9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear". In my mind this means you can't have it angled to the left or right relative to the rear of the car. Do they also check that it's vertical relative to the floor? The wording is a bit ambiguous in my opinion and currently mine is not vertical. it's square but not vertical... Hmmm

loggyboy

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds

"9. Fitted so that the reflector is facing squarely to the rear". In my mind this means you can't have it angled to the left or right relative to the rear of the car. Do they also check that it's vertical relative to the floor? The wording is a bit ambiguous in my opinion and currently mine is not vertical. it's square but not vertical... Hmmm

Not ambiguous at all, Square is square! Its in 2 planes, both viewing from above and side. It needs to be at 90degrees to ground when looking from side and is a common failure.

Mistral Motorsport

CTLeeds

posted on 14/2/18 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by CTLeeds

Not ambiguous at all, Square is square! Its in 2 planes, both viewing from above and side. It needs to be at 90degrees to ground when looking from side and is a common failure.

Okay, thanks. That clears that up. I'd better work out a way to make it "square" in two planes. I might just ramp up my front springs and lower the rear for the test...

Bunje

posted on 14/2/18 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
your car looks great. can i ask where you got the bonnet vents from
furryeggs

posted on 14/2/18 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bunje
your car looks great. can i ask where you got the bonnet vents from

A pen, a ruler and a dremil ... I cut a hole in the bonnet and bonded a piece of grill mesh behind it. cost about £3
cheers

Bunje

posted on 14/2/18 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
where did you buy the grill mesh from looks exactly what im looking for
Christof

posted on 14/2/18 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say if in doubt, take a back up plan. They'll probably let you tweak a few things.
milliput, sugru, bits of rubber - always useful
as for sharp edges, find a ball that gives you the correct radius etc

if you fail you will at least have a definitive list of items to remedy at a modest additional cost relative to the initial fee

furryeggs

posted on 14/2/18 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Just spoken to the DVLA and they have now recieved my paperwork and are currently working their way trough the application...
David Jenkins

posted on 14/2/18 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at the first picture - I nearly failed my SVA because of those cable tie bases. They WILL look at those with a suspicious eye and you have to prove that your fixing method is up to the task, otherwise they'll fail them out of hand. They might just fail them anyway, out of habit...

Luckily I was able to tie the cables to a couple of chassis tubes.

furryeggs

posted on 14/2/18 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Looking at the first picture - I nearly failed my SVA because of those cable tie bases. They WILL look at those with a suspicious eye and you have to prove that your fixing method is up to the task, otherwise they'll fail them out of hand. They might just fail them anyway, out of habit...

Luckily I was able to tie the cables to a couple of chassis tubes.

I’ve not got anything to tie them to. I’m not drilling holes in my wings to secure them... I’ll epoxy them to the underside and hope for the best.
Surely at some point “where practicable” will have to be incorporated into the IVA???

zx12r dug

posted on 14/2/18 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi I can't see really from the picture inside of your rear arch if there are any threads sticking through the nylock nuts holding your lights on but looks like there's plenty of thread on the reverse light tester might not pick up on but you might get a fussy one.Wiring looks neat but would of looked much neater in conduit.Good luck on your test be on the road just in time for the better weather
ttalps2000

posted on 14/2/18 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
i failed on ALL of the indicator NOT being in the 400mm limit from the widest point. However on my retest they measured nothing and was a different inspector with a completely different attitude!

The seat belts through the seats - i never put any trim in mine and they never mentioned it at all

Good luck on the test, it looks very well built and they like that and will be less harsh!

craigdiver

posted on 14/2/18 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver

I think I have 2spare in my box, I’ll check tomorrow.

Sorry for being a pain, did you get a chance to see if you had any or remember where you got them?

Cheers

Craig

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

Irony

posted on 14/2/18 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Bonnet catches - I think will fail the radius test
Bolts hold roll cage - radius test
Where is your ID plate thingy.
Where is your vin stamped. How is it stamped.

Show us the dash, and the front suspension.

Looks really tidy!!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.