Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay selling. buyer wants to use their own courier
cliftyhanger

posted on 22/2/18 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay selling. buyer wants to use their own courier

I am selling some wheels on ebay, collection only.
Somebody is interested, but wants me to package so they can be collected.

I am concerned that the buyer could later claim they were not delivered, and I lose out
Is there any way round that? Guess I could sort a courier if I am expected to package up...anybody good with wheels??

joneh

posted on 22/2/18 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
I am selling some wheels on ebay, collection only.
Somebody is interested, but wants me to package so they can be collected.

I am concerned that the buyer could later claim they were not delivered, and I lose out
Is there any way round that? Guess I could sort a courier if I am expected to package up...anybody good with wheels??

I'd have thought the courier will give you a tracking number and a receipt... I'd want that at least. Then its no different to collection in person.

scootz

posted on 22/2/18 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
Happy days!

Wheels are a pest to send as many companies won't accept or insure them (check the small print!). So if the purchaser wants to arrange the collection, then he / she now has responsibility for them landing at his door.

Just ask the courier who comes to collect for the tracking number - it will update once collection is made... and you can wash your hands of them!

It's Evolution Baby!

CosKev3

posted on 22/2/18 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Are they in decent ready to fit condition?or needing refurb?

If they are decent and they want to use them as are they need packaging really well from my experience, as they get thrown about in sorting hubs.

So hopefully you are getting paid for packing them?

Paisley Freight are good for wheel's, circa £30 for a set of four with tyres on mainland GB

cliftyhanger

posted on 22/2/18 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Desperately trying to avoid the hassle...
Turns out the potential buyer is travelling close to me in a couple of weeks, so tat may work, assuming he is not just timewasting.

Yes, I remember the bit about surcharges etc, which has worried me, but I am reassured that if I get the tracking number all is well on that front!

Cheers
Clive

posted on 22/2/18 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Sold an exhaust can to a bloke who wanted to arrange his own courier.

He was west coast of Southern Ireland and arranged pick up with ParcelForce 24 knowing full well that it would never make the 24 deadline.
He then claimed his money back from ParcelForce.

I thought it wasn't cricket, as that is the only other word that comes to mind beginning with c.

Paul G

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/18 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

He was west coast of Southern Ireland and arranged pick up with ParcelForce 24 knowing full well that it would never make the 24 deadline.

I thought it wasn't cricket, as that is the only other word that comes to mind beginning with c.

Paul G

hat off to him tbh... parcel farce shouldn't advertise and charge for a service they also knowingly can't achieve

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 22/2/18 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Paisley freight - just sold a set of wheels and tyres on ebay £33 for the 4 overnight - they have advice about packaging on their web site which I followed (bubble wrap layer over over each side of wheel tyre followed by cardboard circle covering wheel to outer diameter and then wrapped in cling film tightly, worked well). The packaging does add quite a bit of effort and materials which you would need to cover.

[Edited on 22/2/18 by ianhurley20]

posted on 22/2/18 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Paul G

hat off to him tbh... parcel farce shouldn't advertise and charge for a service they also knowingly can't achieve

I tar you with the same brush then.

Irony

posted on 22/2/18 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by 907

Paul G

I tar you with the same brush then.

Might as well tar me whilst your at it. Parcel Farce are a joke. I have been bitten by them before.

posted on 23/2/18 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
I would not knowingly mislead an individual or company for monetary gain.

I would expect individuals, companies, and service providers to do the same for me.

Yes, I realise that the whole of the population doesn't feel the same as me and I make allowances accordingly.

If for instance, I was to post something at Lands End addressed to John O'Groats on a day when the snow lay a foot deep on the A1
and it arrived late, I would want to shake the hand of the delivery driver, not claim the postage back.

The World is a different place now, and its getting worse.

Paul G

Ian2812

posted on 24/2/18 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Here here 907, I'm with you on that.
scudderfish

posted on 24/2/18 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
If PF don't have the wit to reject business that they can't manage within the t&c's that they offer then the fault is entirely with them. You'd hope they have some idea of geography, probability & routing. They made a commitment that they could ship the parcel from A to B within 24 hours when they accepted the job. If they accept work without validating that it is physically possible then the fault is on them.
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/2/18 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
If PF don't have the wit to reject business that they can't manage within the t&c's that they offer then the fault is entirely with them. You'd hope they have some idea of geography, probability & routing. They made a commitment that they could ship the parcel from A to B within 24 hours when they accepted the job. If they accept work without validating that it is physically possible then the fault is on them.

Not necessarily a fault....
I think they have those costs factored in their prices....
My humble opinion.
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 27/2/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought and sold loads of wheels and being in the middle of nowhere, you get quite adept at packaging them.

Most couriers want things "encased in cardboard" now and in the absence of wheel boxes, the most invaluable thing you will ever use is pallet wrap. stick the cardboard around it and then wrap it tightly in clear pallet wrap, that way its pretty much waterproof, packed tight and they can see the cardboard.

For the same geographic reason, I'm also one of the chancers who will ask if someone will package if I arrange a courier. For me personally I do this to remove the courier hassle for someone (as most people have no awareness of anything beyond the post office and assume stuff like wheels will be impossible to ship) and I'm always happy to pay a little for packaging and goodwill as it's generally something I simply cant get any other way, short of driving the length of the country.

Put simply, the guy may be an honest good egg who is very thankful for your help.

My Build Thread

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.