Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Lockwire
mikeb

posted on 26/2/18 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
Lockwire

I need to lockwire my brake adjuster for IVA.
I don't have the lockwire pliers tool (or any lockwire)
Is there a locost way, seems a waste to buy one for 1 job.

Thanks

Mike

ttalps2000

posted on 26/2/18 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Drill and pin it with a nut on the end is the most common way. Mine was not inspected on IVA and they took my word for it. They were more concerned with the sticker that needs to be put by the bias bar!
joneh

posted on 26/2/18 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Split pin?

Don't forget the warning sticker now required...

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 26/2/18 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Castle nut and split pin do the job?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

JeffHs

posted on 26/2/18 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Ordinary pliers work just as well for occasional use. Cut the wire long, start the twist by hand then finish off with the pliers. Cut to length then tuck the end away so it doesn't snag on your hands next time.
mikeb

posted on 26/2/18 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
sounds good castle nut and split pin.
Thanks for the note about the sticker. does it need to be in the footwell or on top of the panel that I remove to access the pedal box from above?

pewe

posted on 26/2/18 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Wire it up, grasp the two ends in a small battery drill chuck, turn until it shears - simples.
Cheers, Pewe10

joneh

posted on 26/2/18 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeb
sounds good castle nut and split pin.
Thanks for the note about the sticker. does it need to be in the footwell or on top of the panel that I remove to access the pedal box from above?

I thought it was supposed to be by the master cylinders and that's where I was going to stick it but by the bias bar would make more sense but would be out of sight...

ttalps2000

posted on 26/2/18 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
mine is on top of the access panel, as you would have to remove the panel to adjust the bar. The IVA guy said it could also go by the bias bar.

He told me to get x2 of them, put one on the access panel and bring a spare in case he was not happy with it and then stick it where he wants on the re-test!

CBS do them and are less than a quid each from memory.

Remember to do the brake fluid stickers too!

Schrodinger

posted on 27/2/18 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't lock mine I just had a sticker bough t from CBS https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/iva-brake-bias-sticker-balance
this was accepted by Norwich.

Keith
Aviemore

gttztt

posted on 27/2/18 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Wirelocking

Cheapest way - by hand. 14 twists per inch and if you are an aircraft engineer do it in the dark using a torch looking into a mirror upside down with hydraulic oil dripping down your sleeve breathing in AVTUR - or not.
Daf

posted on 27/2/18 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Make a big loop and tie the two ends together, put a hoak 8n the chuck of your drill and hook onto the loop. Spin away until it looks nice then chop off the excess
tims31

posted on 1/3/18 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gttztt
Cheapest way - by hand. 14 twists per inch and if you are an aircraft engineer do it in the dark using a torch looking into a mirror upside down with hydraulic oil dripping down your sleeve breathing in AVTUR - or not.

Been there, done that....

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/18 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Had to google AVTUR...

It's aviation jet fuel, to save anyone else from looking.

tims31

posted on 1/3/18 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Had to google AVTUR...

It's aviation jet fuel, to save anyone else from looking.

Stands for 'Aviation Turbine' AV TUR
Also AV GAS - Aviation Gasoline and AV PIN which is a monofuel used to start the older RR Avon engines, nasty stuff which once burning only stopped once the fuel had been exhausted and the by product left behind was Arsenic!!! Wiki

[Edited on 1/3/18 by tims31]

Daf

posted on 1/3/18 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tims31

Stands for 'Aviation Turbine' AV TUR
Also AV GAS - Aviation Gasoline and AV PIN which is a monofuel used to start the older RR Avon engines, nasty stuff which once burning only stopped once the fuel had been exhausted and the by product left behind was Arsenic!!! Wiki

[Edited on 1/3/18 by tims31]

Just finished reading a book on the English Electric Lightning and learned about AV PIN, mentioned in there that it was a little bit nasty! Lightning was a spectacular bit of engineering for it's day though. Surely leaking AVTUR would be an IVA fail?

[Edited on 1/3/18 by Daf]

Schrodinger

posted on 1/3/18 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
there is an Aviation Museum just round the corner from me with among other things a Lightning on display. There are also a couple of merlin engines there as well, something I hadn't realised until recently was that only about half of them were made by RR, the others were made by Ford (in the UK)and GM (in the USA).As they came in to RR for servicing they removed any reference to any other manufacturer.

[Edited on 1/3/18 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

tims31

posted on 1/3/18 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

Just finished reading a book on the English Electric Lightning and learned about AV PIN, mentioned in there that it was a little bit nasty! Lightning was a spectacular bit of engineering for it's day though. Surely leaking AVTUR would be an IVA fail?

[Edited on 1/3/18 by Daf]

For IVA yes but on an aircraft if it isnt leaking then it must be empty, when it stops leaking you worry...

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/18 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
One of my neighbours used to be the USAF deputy fire chief at RAF Bentwaters - he told me about the SR-71, and how it leaked fuel constantly until the skin heated up at flying speed. The fuel was so safe that you could stick a burning torch into it and it wouldn't light. When he did training exercises they had to pour a couple of gallons of petrol over the jet fuel and light that to get the whole lot going. Mind you, when the jet fuel did eventually ignite...

slingshot2000

posted on 2/3/18 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Sorry to jump on this thread, but could you please name the above mentioned book??

Daf

posted on 2/3/18 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Actually since Christmas I've read 3 books on it! The Lightning Boys 1, The Lightning Boys 2 (borh by Richard Pike) and Fighter Test Pilot by Roland Beamont - the lighting test pilot.

I have a fascination with cold war technology, the lightning in particular as seeing one fly over is one of my earliest memories - I was 3 at the time and it has stuck with me!

tims31

posted on 2/3/18 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
One of my neighbours used to be the USAF deputy fire chief at RAF Bentwaters - he told me about the SR-71, and how it leaked fuel constantly until the skin heated up at flying speed. The fuel was so safe that you could stick a burning torch into it and it wouldn't light. When he did training exercises they had to pour a couple of gallons of petrol over the jet fuel and light that to get the whole lot going. Mind you, when the jet fuel did eventually ignite...

Yep that's right but the fuel was of jelly like consistency. The SR-71 was made of Titanium as it was the only material at the time that could cope with the heat generated flying at Mach 3. There is a good documentary on Youtube about it

[Edited on 2/3/18 by tims31]

scudderfish

posted on 2/3/18 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
This is an excellent book about the development of liquid fuels for rockets.

https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/ignition.pdf

johnH20

posted on 4/3/18 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
It is amazing that the video is now in the public domain. Only three years ago I was invited to an ImechE talk by one of the pilots and entrance was still restricted at that time. Great viewing thanks for posting.
coyoteboy

posted on 5/3/18 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Aviation fuel has lower energy density and higher flash point than petrol - petrol is an entirely more unpleasant and dangerous fuel.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.