Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood Lightweight
JonBowden

posted on 15/1/05 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood Lightweight

I notice that Robin Hood have released their new lightweight at the Autosport International show at the NEC.
Does anyone know if it is any good ?
Does anyone have any pictures of the chassis . monocoque they could post (big, hi-res if poss)
I'm really looking for inspiration, I like the idea of building a monocoque locost from scratch.

Jon

lewis635

posted on 15/1/05 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Full details here.
RH Lightweight

I Saw this kit last year in the new RH catalogue, looks very good, and great value at £995

JoelP

posted on 15/1/05 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
is it aluminium or steel? it seems to say both in the blurb. Plus, it would be nice to quote a weight since they are selling it as a ligthweight.

any thoughts on the probable strength of the chassis?

price is a blinder indeed!

JonBowden

posted on 15/1/05 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

is it aluminium or steel? it seems to say both in the blurb

they say it is mild steel now, aluminium and stainless will come soon.

I fancy having a go at making a monocoque from sheet materials. so lots of decent pictures would provide inspiration

zilspeed

posted on 15/1/05 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
That's going to be a power of rivetting you need to do. Possibly the most well thought out RH so far ?

On the basis that there will soon be a worldwide shortage of cleco fasteners when these kits are sold, I will be going to stock up on monday

akumabito

posted on 15/1/05 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like a nice kit, but they say the dimensions are a bit smaller when compared to regular 7 clones.. I don't know 'bout you guys, but I think a regular sized version is pretty petite as is, and I'm afraid it would just look funny.. especially with someone actually sitting in the car, maybe the car will look out of proportion, making it look more like a toy car..

I would wait a little longer though, until more information becomes available.. mainly the extra costs of having the tub in aluminum, the weight of a completed "lightweight" (if it's anything like the so called Land Rover Lightweight, the weight difference will be minimal when compared to a regular version..), and also the possibilities of fitting motorcycle engines..

I'll keep an eye on their site though..

andyps

posted on 15/1/05 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
It says it is smaller than other Robin Hoods, and they appear larger than a "seven" so maybe it is seven sized.

I like the idea of a monocoque design, but one which is rivetted together does not inspire me with confidence for its strength. I can't think of any production car using a steel (or aluminium) rivetted monocoque. I think the latest Jag XJ is rivetted but there is plenty of bonding too which shold help with the strength.

When RH have submitted them for crash testing and published the results I may change my mind!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/1/05 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
If it is anything like the 'cheesegrater' we say at exeter show, don't get your hopes up

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

chrisg

posted on 16/1/05 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I saw it on friday at the show it was the aluminium moncoque. there are a lot of rivets on the outside of the car which in my mind spoil the look of it.

I was more concerned about the fixing for mechanical parts, there were no engine mounts but the place where they would be was just sheet ali and the front and rear suspension were mounted into two mm "U" section ali in plain drilled holes.

The words metal and fatigue come to mind, all the ali tubs I have seen have some steel included to spread the load.

Styling wise it was certainly narrower than a standard RH and quite well proportioned.

If I was going to buy one I'd wait and see how it holds up over a couple of years.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

britishtrident

posted on 16/1/05 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
A big problem with aluminium monocoques is the holes all have to be finished cleanly --- a ragged edge a rivet hole can lead to a fatigue failure. A company I used to work with had a major failure of an aluminium alloy aircraft loading gangway because an emergency repair some years before had left a rivet hole which had been left badly finished.
Robin Hood ? good finish ?

dozracing

posted on 19/1/05 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Having looked at the car at Autosport i would run a mile from it.

One incident of kerbing and i reckon you'll be into making a new tub. Its typical Robing Hood, rough and ready. I think they have a cheek promoting it to the racing scene, its not worthy of being a race car.

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 20/1/05 at 03:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dozracing
Having looked at the car at Autosport i would run a mile from it.

One incident of kerbing and i reckon you'll be into making a new tub. Its typical Robing Hood, rough and ready. I think they have a cheek promoting it to the racing scene, its not worthy of being a race car.

Oh dear! Anyone know a good lawyer

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 20/1/05 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
The kit seems comprehensive for the price in fact its a flaming bargain.
As everyone says Robin Hood quality aint up to much but I spose its early days.
In saying all this who has the biggest turn out at shows and has got to be the number one kit provider in the UK,so they must be doing something right.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

britishtrident

posted on 20/1/05 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
snip
UK,so they must be doing something right.
Cheers,
Bob

They remind me of a high street "Pound Shop" , in that they are very good at sourcing the lowest possible price and passing it on to Joe Public but it is case of buyer beware.

andy d (rizla)

posted on 20/1/05 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
i may have a biased opinion here,but i used to own a s7 robin hood now i have a mnr vortx,no comparison i know but i am still a member of the owners club as the club is great at organising trackdays etc and their social side is fantastic
the s7 i had was great fun at a bargain price
but as you say you get what you pay for,but the build quality of some of the hoods ive seen is amazing,i think its fair to say you dont assemble a hood you do build it as not much fits without modification,i take my hat off to anyone that builds a hood

dl_peabody

posted on 25/1/05 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Do they ship to the US?

The light weight kit seems like a HUGE bargin.
I have seen the posts and concerns about quality, fit, and finish of the Robin Hood cars.
The Light Weight would put me easyily past the half way mark.
(I would love to get a closer look at the chasis)

http://www.robinhoodengineering.co.uk/Bolteon.htm

Is everthing on the list included in the kit? Or is this what is available at an extra price?

Do they ship to the USA?

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/1/05 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
British engineering has a good reputation in the US, please don't import one and ruin it!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

bob

posted on 25/1/05 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you do a search on the lightweight or the exeter show their should be some pictures or info,the aluminium chassis was 1st seen over a year ago at the exeter show and was dubbed the cheese grater and a lot of people actually thought it was a kind of april fool joke.

krlthms

posted on 25/1/05 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
British engineering has a good reputation in the US, please don't import one and ruin it!

Er, are we talking about 70's MGB or 80's jag here?

krlthms

posted on 25/1/05 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ozzy PRB composite monocoque

quote:
Originally posted by dl_peabody
The light weight kit seems like a HUGE bargin.
I have seen the posts and concerns about quality, fit, and finish of the Robin Hood cars.
The Light Weight would put me easyily past the half way mark.
(I would love to get a closer look at the chasis)

http://www.robinhoodengineering.co.uk/Bolteon.htm

Is everthing on the list included in the kit? Or is this what is available at an extra price?

Do they ship to the USA?

If you are really interested in a monocoque type seven, then you should have a look at PRB cars in Australia:
http://www.prbaustralia.com.au/
Look under Composite; this is potentially the fastest Sevenesque on the planet that you can get your hands on without years of track development and mucho dinaros. As much as I love the Donkervoort, I think this one would have them for brunch. They don't specify the price, which means it is steep, however, unlike the UK pound, I think we can still bully the Ozzies around currency-wise; well at least up to this morning. I saw a headline about the US$ "sliding" again today on the news that King GWB wants another 80 bil for some more sand castle building in Iraq
At this rate I will need to take a loan to go visit the family in old Blighty this summer.
I diagress (well, I am at work). I have read a few articles on the PRB clubmen, and they same pretty good chassis. I saw pictures of a PRB after it crashed at 200 kph (120 mph). The driver walked out and he raced the same car 12 hrs later.
Rorty is in touch with the Ozzy motorsport scene, so he might give us some info.
Actually, while you are at the site you should have a look at the "PRBs for sale". There is an incredibly sweet BRG one in there; it has the cleanest underbonnet of any Sevensque, including Fozzie's (are those motorbike carbs on the AGE?).

Volvorsport

posted on 26/1/05 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
hmmm , they look nice , doesnt mention the weight , i may have some announcements regarding my monocoque in the near future .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

krlthms

posted on 26/1/05 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
hmmm , they look nice , doesnt mention the weight , i may have some announcements regarding my monocoque in the near future .

That would be nice
Cheers
KT

britishtrident

posted on 26/1/05 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krlthms
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

Er, are we talking about 70's MGB or 80's jag here?

The MGB was one of the most reliable vehicles of its time the number that have survived in dailly use is a witness to that.
Egan erea XJ40s are a different matter.

TheGecko

posted on 26/1/05 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krlthmsActually, while you are at the site you should have a look at the "PRBs for sale". There is an incredibly sweet BRG one in there; it has the cleanest underbonnet of any Sevensque, including Fozzie's (are those motorbike carbs on the AGE?).
Two comments.

- that's nothing like BRG - see your opthamologist It's a GM Holden colour called <hmm... doesn't seem to be offered on the current range>

- that looks like a 'Blacktop' 20-valve 4A-GE which has 4 seperate throttle bodies as stock. Only the sock type filters aren't factory.

I've seen a number of PRB's in the flesh and they are beautifully finished cars. Here's a shot from they PRB factory XMas party a few weeks back.

Yes, blue is popular

As to price, there was a new one for sale recently with the following spec:
quote:
2zz celica motor, sport uprated clutch with sprung sintered button, painted in red harlequin with carbon guards. has wet weather gear & tonneau covers. adr legal braided brake lines & dunlop dz02g competition tyres.

at AU$55,200 - roughly US$42,300 or GBP22,700 at today's exchange rate.

Dominic

DaveFJ

posted on 26/1/05 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Ahhh - the PRB is a Birkin... Nuff said, fantastic cars

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.