Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dilemma
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/18 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Dilemma

So here's my landy, had it 7 years and was bought before I had 2 kids, it took 5 years to rebuild it just how I wanted it and plan was NEVER EVER to sell it...it was my gift to myself for 30 years of restoring cars, 5 of which have been Landys and my last ever car project.

However...

It will only ever sit 3 in the front (braced roll bar in the back), isn't any use for long journeys and can't be used for going on holidays. Really its just a toy for me.

Now I have the Volvo s60 which is a fine car but not very spacious (estate would have been better but just too sought after) but some of the guys at work, family guys like me have vans which at first I though very amusing I mean seriously isn't a van a bit ott...

Then they showed me inside, oh wow this is fab so much space! they say their getting about 40mpg too

So here's my dilemma -

Should I sell my beloved Landy to buy a transit?! I'd guess the Landy is worth 5k min maybe more I'd have to look into that and this would get me a very nice van, get it all kitted out with tv, sound system etc for the kids...but no more Landy

What do you think? would you do it????

[Edited on 21/3/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/18 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
some proper pics..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 21/3/18 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
LOL typical - the one car that would suit a camo finish, and its plain.

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/18 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
it was going to be camo but when I did the Kalki base coat everyone said STOP! that it!

I have to agree the colour is perfect

theduck

posted on 21/3/18 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Why not replace the lolvo?
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 21/3/18 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
As a Landy lover, I would strongly recommend against it! Aside from the appreciating values, they're pretty easy to work on (minimal electrics at best), great 4wd and all-weather car (crap heaters aside), and a truly iconic bit of British engineering. The only down side to ownership is the abhorrent rate of thefts that seem to occur.

I've done a nut & bolt restoration on a Defender 90, and plan to use it as my funeral pyre - hopefully not for a good few years yet, mind!

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

02GF74

posted on 21/3/18 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Should I sell my beloved Landy to buy a transit?! I'd guess the Landy is worth 5k min maybe more I'd have to look into that and this would get me a very nice van, get it all kitted out with tv, sound system etc for the kids.

How big are the children that you need a van to transport them?

Selling the s60 and buy xc90.

Has seats and sounds already fitted.

ttalps2000

posted on 21/3/18 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
sell the kids?
JimSpencer

posted on 21/3/18 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Should I sell my beloved Landy to buy a transit?! I'd guess the Landy is worth 5k min maybe more I'd have to look into that and this would get me a very nice van, get it all kitted out with tv, sound system etc for the kids.

So you'd get rid of a beloved classic that's only every going to appreciate in lots of ways, not least financially and replace it with a used (well used at £5k..) van that won't have been loved and will depreciate faster than your landy dropped off a cliff..
Plus no matter how nicely a van is done, it's a van.. it's a commercial vehicle and even the ones that have proper crew cab seating are a PITA (quite literally..) to travel any distance in..

So as somebody said above, flog the S60 and buy a mahoosive estate, if you go for a slightly older premium brand and buy sensible you'll get a really nicely specced car for not a lot of cash and you'll be comfortable, not deaf and still doing 40+ mpg too.
Ohh and still have a really cool landy

big-vee-twin

posted on 21/3/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It's a simple choice in my view and the answer is absolutely no way no how.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

bi22le

posted on 21/3/18 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I know very little about land rovers, I'm embarrassed to say, but it really surprises me that is only worth 5k.

I thought that would cost alot more.

A serious vehicle to invest in. Keep it.

As others have said. Get rid of the Volvo add a smidge to it and get a large German estate that you can put 250k guilt free miles on. Why have 2 cats for the family and none for you!?!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/18 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
sadly my Volvo is worth perhaps £400... I got it for £800 in the first place there is a reason it is camouflaged and it's not just cos I like the colour

Ok I take the good points, I won't abandon poor old Percy. Just have to start saving instead...

Cheers

slingshot2000

posted on 22/3/18 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
You know that is the right decision, you will not regret it in the long run.

I have a 1959 SWB, have owned her for 30years and could never let her go even though she has not been on the road for a few years and needs a lot of TLC

nick205

posted on 22/3/18 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Whippy - I know your quandry well as we have 3 kids. We had a Seat Alhambra (Y reg) 7 seater for a few years to cater for moving them and their friends and going on holidday. The Alhambra came to the end of it's economical life and was replaced with a VW Touran (57 reg) 7 seater. Both 1.9 TDIs with good MPG.

Alhambra - 5 rear seats could all be removed transforming it into a fairly cavernous van like vehicle. With the 2 rearmost seats removed the 5 of us went on holidays in France and various UK camping trips several times. There wasn't much we couldn't get in there!

Touran - The 2 rearmost seats fold flat into the floor meaning they're always in the car if needed. Overall it's slightly smaller than the Alhambra, but again has done several holidays and swallowed everything asked.

Neither were expensive (certainly sub £5k), both reliable, economical and pleasant to drive.

I'd not say no to a Transit for the load space it provides, but a proper tin top with the appropriate sound proofing and mod cons seems a better option to me.

In fact the Alhambra we had was tatty enough inside and outside that we really weren't precious about it taking the odd scrape here and there. It withstood 3 muddy and snotty kids very well too.

[Edited on 22/3/18 by nick205]

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 22/3/18 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Id also recommend a SUV. IN hind sight I realise just how good my smax was. Far better than an estate that replaced it The galaxy is even more cavernous.
Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/18 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'll just get another old Zafira again, should have just fixed the mixture problem with the last one doh!
nick205

posted on 22/3/18 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Id also recommend a SUV. IN hind sight I realise just how good my smax was. Far better than an estate that replaced it The galaxy is even more cavernous.

Sister (she has 3 kids too) has a S Max and it's a good people and load hauler.

School friend with 3 kids has a Galaxy - it is indeed cavernous in the back.

Irony

posted on 22/3/18 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Another Galaxy owner here. It is huge in the back. 2.0TDCI with 80k on the clock, gets 40mpg around townish. Cost 3K and it is lovely. Transit is a van. For carrying stuff, not people
Ivan

posted on 22/3/18 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
A van is not designed to keep people in the back safe in an accident. a car/SUV is - that, and how precious one's kids are, would be the deciding factor for me.

Plus, keep the classic!

nick205

posted on 22/3/18 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
A van is not designed to keep people in the back safe in an accident. a car/SUV is - that, and how precious one's kids are, would be the deciding factor for me.

Plus, keep the classic!

Well put - a van's a van for stuff a tin top's a car for people!

Car crashes aren't fun at all and keeping people safe should definitely be a priority.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/3/18 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
very good point
TimC

posted on 24/3/18 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
The answer is obvious isn’t it? Build a 109 with a pop-top roof.

Happy to have been of assistance. 🙃

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.