Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec clutch again...
pekwah1

posted on 27/3/18 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec clutch again...

Hi guys,

I asked about this recently but am confused again.

Basically I need to change my clutch and thought it might be worth changing the flywheel too.
I currently have the standard blacktop setup, and the fly measures around 184mm, what I don’t understand is which flywheels are the same size so that I can keep the same starter motor.

Do I want to look at a 1.8 zetec fly or a cvh fly etc?

Anyone who can tell me which flys are the same size as the standard blacktop zetec would be much appreciate.

Cheers
Andy

big_wasa

posted on 27/3/18 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
Flywheel is the same dia for all the Zetec E engines. There are two clutch diameters. 220mm and 240mm. If your feeling flush £160 buys a spanking brand new flywheel to take the pinto 215mm clutch, flywheel and thrust bearing and starter motor.

Just replace what you have if it worked.

[Edited on 27/3/18 by big_wasa]

pekwah1

posted on 27/3/18 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I’m confused then, if the clutch is 220 or 240, how would that fit on a 184mm fly?
Unless the clutch is measured by circumference rather than diameter?

Purely looking at changing the flywheel as the standard blacktop is quite heavy, plus the standard fit clutch kit is surprisingly pricey so might as well just change the whole lot!

big_wasa

posted on 28/3/18 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
There is no way your flywheel has a diameter of 184mm. Are you sure that's not the radius ?

I have both at home. I will see if I can get some photos.

What flywheel do you have ?

The 2.0 clutch is cheap as chips because there are loads floating around from crate engines.

SJ

posted on 28/3/18 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

There is no way your flywheel has a diameter of 184mm. Are you sure that's not the radius ?

He's right. A zetec flywheel must be 30-40cm.

A 1.8 CVH flywheel is exactly the in respect of the starter ring gear and is interchangeable except that the holes for the bolts that attach it to the crank are smaller.

tims31

posted on 28/3/18 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 2.0ltr blacktop.

I removed the standard Mondeo flywheel and clutch and fitted a flywheel from a 1.8 Focus Mk 1 , this is about 2kg lighter and takes the smaller 220mm clutch as opposed to the 240mm clutch fitted as standard to the 2.0ltr mondeo flywheel.

The clutch is the same as a 1.8ltr mondeo one and I used a QH CCT133 release bearing - LUX alternative (500018410)

All the details are on the spec page of my build blog here

If you use the CVH flywheel it has to be drilled out I think. Much easier to just get a 1.8 Focus Mk1 flywheel

[Edited on 28/3/18 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

pekwah1

posted on 28/3/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks tim
SJ

posted on 28/3/18 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you use the CVH flywheel it has to be drilled out I think. Much easier to just get a 1.8 Focus Mk1 flywheel

That's all correct. Howeverhe benefit if the 1.8cvh flywheel is it is around 2kg lighter than the 1.8 Zetec. Downside is no trigger wheel.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.