Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec Blacktop Cambelt Differences
SJ

posted on 30/3/18 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec Blacktop Cambelt Differences

I changed the cambelt on my car today. The kit I bought was a Gates job with the belt, tensioner and idler pulley. I got the job done but the idler pulley was condsiderably bigger in diameter than the one that came off, with a larger bolt as well so it wouldn't fit. I ended up refitting the old one.

I don't know for sure which model my engine came from [Mondeo I think] but was expecting all BT cambelts to be the same.

The part number was Timing Belt Kit GATES K015508XS. Looks like it is for a wide range of focus and Mondeo models up to 2000.

Anyone else come across issues like this?

Thanks

Stu

James24785

posted on 30/3/18 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can't answer you question fully but I'd get that idler swapped for the right one as soon as you can though, if it was near the cambelt interval age.
Most the time it's the idlers that fail rather than the actual belt

SJ

posted on 30/3/18 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Can't answer you question fully but I'd get that idler swapped for the right one as soon as you can though, if it was near the cambelt interval age.
Most the time it's the idlers that fail rather than the actual belt

I have no idea when it was last changed unfortunately.

The idler seemed fine - no play and not noisy when given a spin. I'm happy to buy another cambelt kit but don't know which to buy now.

James24785

posted on 30/3/18 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Don't suppose you took any pics along the way? Im sure someone will recognise the setup.

Out of interest what is the cambelt interval on the Zetec?

SJ

posted on 30/3/18 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
TBH they all look the same.

I've measured the idler pulley and my original one is 62mm dia and the new one 70mm, so quite a difference.

Other than that the rest is the same - i.e belt length and tensioner pulley diameter

obfripper

posted on 30/3/18 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
up to 01/99 has an m10 bolt holding down the idler pulley and a lower guide pulley, 02/99 onward has an m8 bolt on the idler and no lower guide pulley.
The easy way to tell is if you have a magnesium rocker cover it is the early engine, a plastic rocker is the later engine (assuming original parts).
The 2 kits have the same belt and tensioner though, so you should be ok for the time being.

If you do want to replace the kit K025508XS is the gates kit you want, or you can stick with the kit you've fitted and get just the guide pulley T41233.

Dave

SJ

posted on 31/3/18 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave. That's really helpful.

Cheers

Stu

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.