Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: De Rusting an Engine Block
AntonUK

posted on 9/4/18 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
De Rusting an Engine Block

Hi All,
Ive acquired an old mini A-Series engine block which I am planning to do the Engine Block table project with. (I have a little history with said block, it was the first engine I managed to terminally break over 10 years ago)

Problem is that it is covered in surface rust from sitting in a friends garage for years.

Does anyone have any experience with de-rusting a block successfully? There are a number of "special bottles" available online but wanted a more locost way.

Thoughts?

Build Photos Here

perksy

posted on 9/4/18 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Rotary wire brush in a drill has always worked well for me
gremlin1234

posted on 9/4/18 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
there is a very long running thread on electrolysis
https://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=9158&page=0

snapper

posted on 9/4/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
You’ll still have to wire brush it after electrolysis as it will have a flat grey look.
I would give it a wire rotary brushing and see how a bit of it looks
For the authentic A series look a quick wizz off the surface Rust and green smoothright then soend sone time making the bores smooth metal for either the scotch bottles or the slow flashing red led’s to simulate the firing order

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

joneh

posted on 9/4/18 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
I went through this process. My local engine rebuilder put it through his acid dip for £20. Saved making a mess at home.
Shooter63

posted on 10/4/18 at 05:33 AM Reply With Quote
Molasses and water is supposed to work well, 3 parts water to 1 part molasses, leave it in a tank of the mixture for a few days and rinse off. It won't remove grease etc but the rust should be gone.
I haven't tried it but have seen it recommended
Looking about the best place to buy it seems to be equestrian places around £10.00 for 5lts

Shooter

nick205

posted on 10/4/18 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I went through this process. My local engine rebuilder put it through his acid dip for £20. Saved making a mess at home.

My local engine reconditioner did this on my Pinto engine when I rebuilt it for my MK Indy. IMHO a cheap, fast and painless process and the block came out looking good. Being cast iron I gave it a couple of coats of Halfords red engine block paint to prevent it going rusty again once in the Indy.

BenB

posted on 10/4/18 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shooter63
Molasses and water is supposed to work well, 3 parts water to 1 part molasses, leave it in a tank of the mixture for a few days and rinse off. It won't remove grease etc but the rust should be gone.
I haven't tried it but have seen it recommended
Looking about the best place to buy it seems to be equestrian places around £10.00 for 5lts

Shooter

It works well. I used it on some well rusted nuts and it took the rust off nicely. I think there's even a picture in my photo archive of it.

found them...

to

after a day with no additional processing.

miskit

posted on 10/4/18 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Citric acid made up from cheap ebay powder is the usual solution (if you will excuse the pun) - if you don't want to use electrolysis which would be my first choice.
CosKev3

posted on 10/4/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you've got a container big enough to soak it in get some Bilt Hamber Deox-C powder,you mix it with water and it's awesome stuff!
Angel Acevedo

posted on 10/4/18 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AntonUK
Hi All,
Ive acquired an old mini A-Series engine block which I am planning to do the Engine Block table project with. (I have a little history with said block, it was the first engine I managed to terminally break over 10 years ago)

Problem is that it is covered in surface rust from sitting in a friends garage for years.

Does anyone have any experience with de-rusting a block successfully? There are a number of "special bottles" available online but wanted a more locost way.

Thoughts?

How thorough a de-rusting do you need?
If it is going to be stored/displayed indoors and you are going to paint, hand metal brush, degrease, rust converter and topcoat may suffice.
If you want shiny surfaces, a more dedicated method may be needed.
For bores, I´d use a cylinder hone (an old one would be enough)
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 11/4/18 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming you're not going to be using the block as part of an engine in future then you could get it shot blasted. There's plenty of places that do it and you'd end up with a clean exterior afterwards ready to paint.
Slimy38

posted on 11/4/18 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
If you've got a container big enough to soak it in get some Bilt Hamber Deox-C powder,you mix it with water and it's awesome stuff!

Seconded, I've used it for all my donor parts and they've all come up really well. The only thing is that you do need to clean them afterwards, so there is still a messy manual part to the task. I had hoped it would be like the ads where you drop it in the tank and it comes out the following day all shiny and ready to go!

CosKev3

posted on 11/4/18 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

Seconded, I've used it for all my donor parts and they've all come up really well. The only thing is that you do need to clean them afterwards, so there is still a messy manual part to the task. I had hoped it would be like the ads where you drop it in the tank and it comes out the following day all shiny and ready to go!

What have you had to clean afterwards?just rinse off in fresh water you mean?

If you've had to do more than that you've not been using a strong enough mix!

Slimy38

posted on 11/4/18 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

What have you had to clean afterwards?just rinse off in fresh water you mean?

If you've had to do more than that you've not been using a strong enough mix!

It had a dark 'slime' on it, it came off with water and a scourer but it stuck to everything. My hands were black, the sink had a tide mark, it was horrible!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.