Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: one or two exhausts
craigdiver

posted on 22/4/18 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
one or two exhausts

with emissions being a moving target nowadays I have given my exhaust system a rethink. Its a BMW 6 cyl and original exhaust went 6-2-1 with two cats before the 2-1.

My original plan was to take NickP’s advice and go 6-2-1 with 2” out the manifolds combining into 3” and through a 200 cell 3” sports cat to the muffler.

Would it be twice as good at reducing emissions if I went with two 2” exhaust systems down the side of the car (with 2x 2” cats and mufflers)?

Am I likely to get any deals on exhaust components at Stoneleigh next month (never been so don’t know if likely to be stall(s) selling exhaust components)

If it ain't broken, fix it anyway (just because).

Building - BMW powered Haynes Roadster/442E hybrid.

Volvo C30 T5 Polestar

rodgling

posted on 22/4/18 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craigdiver
with emissions being a moving target nowadays I have given my exhaust system a rethink. Its a BMW 6 cyl and original exhaust went 6-2-1 with two cats before the 2-1.

My original plan was to take NickP’s advice and go 6-2-1 with 2” out the manifolds combining into 3” and through a 200 cell 3” sports cat to the muffler.

Would it be twice as good at reducing emissions if I went with two 2” exhaust systems down the side of the car (with 2x 2” cats and mufflers)?

Am I likely to get any deals on exhaust components at Stoneleigh next month (never been so don’t know if likely to be stall(s) selling exhaust components)

I use a 6-2-1 system on mine, which goes into (currently) an 8" silencer (no cat), followed by a second silencer under the fuel tank to keep noise down for track use. This works well, that said emissions have always been a tricky issue, even with a can with a cat fitted. I don't think this is down to the exhaust though.

posted on 22/4/18 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
I have a couple of brand new 200 cell sports cats if you are interested. 4" diameter with 4" to 2" cones.
The cones can be cut so the inlet / outlet is bigger if required.

The cells are stainless so they are more durable than cats with ceramic internals. (the ones that rattle when they break up)

£180 the pair + P&P at cost

Cats work better the nearer they are to the engine as they need to get hot.

Paul G

stainless cats
stainless cats

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.